Friday, October 3, 2008

Agency Update!

One thing that my agency has started to do for the families who are waiting for a referral or I guess in the process of starting an adoption with them is to provide an update about the program. Yesterday to my surprise I got a program update (Yeah for Me). So if any one from my agency is reading this blog keep up the good work.

Since I am a numbers girl this type of information is very valuable to me. I think it is an occupational hazard for me, I like the facts. Without the facts I can not process things as well. Speculation can drive you crazy and it has been making me nuts to think that my referral could come any day. So I am not expecting to have a referral until after the new year. If the referral comes sooner great but I am resigned to the idea that I will not travel until 2009.

So for all those who are interested here are the facts:

1. Total number of families waiting for court: 18 My fellow blogger friend Jane just got her date yesterday.

2. Total number of waiting families: 70
11 with accepted referrals waiting for first trip
59 waiting for a referral:
boy/girl 16
girl 18
boy 14
2 children (of either gender) 11

3.Number of families not yet registered (initial packet is in St. Petersburg office):

I try to put a positive spin on every thing about this adoption so here is my list of positive things that I am trying to think about while waiting:

1. I really do not want to be separated for Christmas from my little one.

2. If I were able to have my new little guy home for Christmas I think the holiday may be a bit scary for him or her because of all the changes that the baby will already have experienced. In my mind I am sure that it is better that I bring home the little one after the holidays because by the time next Christmas rolls around I pray that the attachment process of my little one will be secure by then.

3. Saving up the PTO. Every 2 weeks my PTO bank accumulates 10.77 hours of PTO. The more PTO that I accumulate the more paid time off I will be able to take once the baby is here. My dream is to work part time for a year and still have a full time paycheck.

4. I will have one more tax return to save before the adoption is complete. Okay I know that it is not a good idea but I usually get a large tax return. My hope is to pay off my car with this years return. This only makes things easier for me once the little one comes home.

5. If my first trip is in February then the second trip will not be until about April or May. Then I would have my maternity leave in the spring/summer months which is a beautiful time to be off. I could not imagine being cooped up in the house for the winter months.

There is always a silver lining to every cloud the trick is looking for it. I am less upset then I was earlier in the month. I am at peace that there are many things that are out of my control and this is one of them.

5 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

I'm glad you are given updates as I agree that it is easier waiting when you know where you stand. So glad you are moving forward in line and that you are staying so positive. We often do not look at the positive reasons, so it is good that you can remain focused and stay faithful. God has the perfect child for you and is waiting for his perfect time to introduce you to one another!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You go girl! You are such an inspiration in positive thought--and you have a lot to be positive about, too! I remember well the ups and downs of "the process." I wish I could say I had been as positive throughout the wait as you are. . .and you are right, it was very hard to be separated from Aidan during Christmas. The only thing that got me through, besides Pat and God, was that I was busy doing his room and doing all of the final paperwork! God Bless and stay with that postive-ness!

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Good for you - that silver lining is so important!

cm

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
I like it so much that you are getting more information on waiting families! I hope that you soon get that call, but it is so good to stay positive in the meantime. I am glad you posted this - I feel like my paperwork progress is going a little more slowly than I had hoped, but I am trying to stay positive. I hope you have a great weekend! Teresa

Rich and Jolynn said...

Hi Joy,
Updates certainly help the time to pass. We are so happy that you are going to get that call real soon! I know that we mark time by holidays but you will have many of those to come. Love the blog!