Thursday, May 29, 2008

How Many Times Have You Done This??

I was in a large warehouse store yesterday waiting line for the deli for some lunch meat to put Dottie's antibiotics in that would cover the fact that I was giving her a big fat pill. Yes she is sick again! So we are doing another course of antibiotics. Some times I think it is jsut me.

Anyway there was a woman there with her 3 little boys age 6, 4 and 1.5 years old. Okay I love kids so I was watching them out of the corner of my eye. The 6 year old was walking around with the Father, the 4 year old was looking a video game he was getting and the 1.5 year old was crying. The Mother was looking at her list and trying to figure out what she was missing.

I started to look at the 1.5 year old and thought one day this could be me. This baby was trying desperately to engage his Mother. I could not help myself so I winked at him and then made a funny face. Instantly, he stopped crying and started to laugh at me. This went on for another couple of minutes. The little man was testing out a version of hide and seek by hiding behind his brother in the cart. Every time I would wink at him and make a funny face.

The Mother noticed he had stopped crying. She started to touch him lovingly and also started to engage with him. By no means do I think this little man was not loved by both of his parents. I am also not telling this story because I think this situation will never happen to me. I just think that it is neat the way a child will look to engage with an adult.

If I were not in the middle of an adoption would I have still played this game with this little one the answer is yes. Would I have known the importance of this little guy's behavior in the attachment process to his care giver? The answer is no.

8 comments:

Jane and Jim said...

Isn't it funny the little things we notice now? I seem to notice everything like that too and will think to myself, I've got to remember NOT to do that!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

It WILL be you! And soon, too. The experience is so humbling! Praying for you everyday. Stacy

PattiL said...

Hey, I did go to Southren. Class of 2001. And my hubby and I spend our weekends putting our boat in Murrels Inlet, marsh. And we take jeep rides in NMB, and Cherry Grove! Thats too funny. I understand what you mean about the blog. I think my mom is the only one who reads it besides my IVF friend who has been waiting 7 MONTHS from Sibera to give her a court date. She is waiting to get her little one home with her. Her blog is
www.bringingbabymorganhome.blogspot.com

I like reading other peoples, just to see what there input is. I just got my packet of paper work for my Dossier. EEK! So we are just going to take our time. My Agency is Adoption Hope International. They work with Lutheran Social Services in MI. I made sure they all had there accreditations. Im also trying to finish my Hague training. :(
So where in NJ are you from?

PattiL said...

PLus I wanted to let you know I have 3 mini dauchounds, named Lacey (after the town), Rocky,& Dotti.

Kevin T. said...

That's so cute how you played with him! I feel that I notice more now too and try to imagine what I would (or would not) do in certain situations. I hope Dottie feels better really soon!

Christen L said...

That happens to me all the time. It's cute and fun (and makes the time in the store go quicker.)

I do find that I'm noticing little things with kids more, too. It seems I've noticed many adoptive families lately. I can tell bc they were mixed races. I also pay more attention to parents disciplining their kids in public. I find myself taking mental notes - that worked well, that not so much. I would use that, and DEFINITELY wouldn't use that one. ;)

PattiL said...

I know I do think it funny how we meet on the internet. My good friend from HS lives in Little Egg. Well heres to both our journey!

Anita said...

There are so many things that would never cross our mind, attachment is a big one! It's remarkable how close you have come to your child over these last months!