Saturday, May 3, 2008

Well I Got Dottie's Lab Results Back!

I like to think of my self as a realist. That is much different then being an optimist or a pessimist. So here it goes. Luckily I have been home for a couple of days and I think that has been good. One of the reasons why this was a good thing is because I have been able to watch Dottie more closely then usual. I also got a telephone call from the Veterinarian today. I knew that I was in for not such great news when he started with do you have time to talk.

I took a deep breath and told him yes of course I do. I true form he gave me all the good news first Liver profile was fine, negative for heart worms negative for diabetes. I was relieved and waiting for him to tell me that I was just crazy or are you sure she is peeing in the bed. That is when the other shoe dropped. Here is the run down Dottie is anemic he hemoglobin was 4 this was considerably lower then the last time she had blood work last year. Then he told me that it appears that she is in kidney failure her BUN is elevated to 55 normal would be below 35. The other kidney function test was the creatitine level which was also elevated 3.5, normal being less then 2. The urine sample revealed gross RBCs and 4+ protein neither of these should be in a normal urine sample. 7 pound weight loss. The key points that are leading to this NOT being a UTI or a kidney stone are the presence of the protein in the urine and the anemia.

I am a nurse and I have been for almost 16 years. I find it interesting how nurses in general tend to switch into automatic nurse mode when problems like this pop into our lives. I think this is a coping mechanism. I could sense in the Vet's voice that he had quite a bit more to say so I did struggle to a bit to remain an active listener. He started to tell me that Dalmatians tend to develop kidney stones (which I knew) then came the pause in his voice.

So I said are you trying to tell me that she might have a kidney mass? Well the answer was yes. We talked a bit more about her daily routine and the changes that I have seen. I think initially the Vet felt that I may have been a bit overboard because these changes are subtle and so new but now he feels that these changes are pretty significant.

So where do we stand now. Dottie has been started in an antibiotic for the next 10 days. In 2 weeks she will have an ultrasound of her complete abdomen. Actually Monday the office will call me to make the appointments. Last night she had another accident and 3 more today. Thank goodness for peepy pads.

My plan is to just sit next to her and be with her as much as possible. She is the type of dog that needs constant attention so that is what she will get (as if today is different then yesterday). As soon as the doctor's office can coordinate the ultrasound she will have it done I should have the results about 24 hours later. The one thing that does run through my mind is that kidney failure is not painful so I pray that if she does have a mass that she is not in pain which she does not appear to be in right now.

I am doing fine right now. Tonight we had the parents all 3 of them over for dinner and told them the news about Dottie. I did break down and cry twice but again I happen to be a realist and will do what ever is necessary to make her comfortable. I am hoping and praying for the best (UTI) and preparing for the worst.

5 comments:

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Bless your heart - and sweet Dottie's! I will be praying for the best news possible and a speedy, full recovery for your pup.

cm

Tiger & Kar said...

Joy - I cried reading this post. You & your sweet girl are in my prayers. My furkids mean the world to me. I love them so much and I'm sure my relationship with them is similar to your own with Dottie. I hope you receive the best news possible. Give your girl a hug from me.

Troy and Rachel said...

We'll be praying for Dottie and yes - we do pray for dogs too. I hope you find out the best case scenario.

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
I am praying so much for Dottie - and for you! I am the same way when anything is wrong with Shea and I feel for you right now. I am praying for the best news possible. Hang in there! Teresa

Janine said...

Oh Joy,
I'm so sorry to hear about Dottie and I'm hoping it turns out to be fine. It is such a shock when something unexpected comes up. Reading your story gave me goosebumps as it reminded me when we found out Mandy's outcome was not good. Tomorrow will be 2 months to the day we lost her. Oddly enough, we lost her the day of our daughter's 1st birthday. The day I had been looking forward to since we received her referral as it meant we would travel to meet her soon. Even in sadness, there is still happiness to be found. Hoping the ultrasound goes well and gives you good news. Hugs to Dottie and to you.