Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Differences Between Mommy's and Daddy's

I can say that I have dreamt about the day I will have a child for many years. I am quite outspoken and many people who know me well know that I am not the shy one. Gerard is so the opposite of me that it is not even funny. He is not much of a talker.

Over the past couple of years I have told him all about the things that I want to do once the little one comes to us. I find it very interesting the differences between us. I have always known that we are extremely different and yesterday was no exception.

I do not like to brag about him because he thinks it sounds fake and that drives him crazy but oh well! Gerard and I (or mostly me) have decided that I need another camera. One that is able to capture those quick moments that can happen when you have a child. Okay I would love to be a photographer and I really am minus the creativity and the talent but anyway. Gerard and I went out yesterday to buy another camera. I ended up with a very fancy Sony alpha 200 SLR. He hates to have his picture taken but does love to take them (mostly because he always has a five o'clock shadow 24/7).

Sorry I am off the topic. I met Gerard after work at Circuit City to look at cameras. I called him once I got into the parking lot and guess where he was? You guessed it at Sports Authority in the fishing gear aisle. He loves to fish I remember when we were younger we would go fishing all weekend. Then we grew up and the fishing trips have become less frequent. I think only 2 times last year. Sad how life interferes with fun.

I was a bit surprised to see him looking at the poles and reels because we actually have no fake a 100 set ups. But I just watched as he was picking them up and testing them out. These were not the type that he usually buys so now I am confused. That is when he looked at me and said "I have to make sure the little one gets a nice pole and reel. I think we will be doing a lot more fishing soon. I want to make sure that he has the right stuff."

I thought I was going to cry. He may not always speak his mind but he was so sincere. I think about the snuggling and the playing that I will want to do with the little one in addition to the conversations that I will have about everything. Gerard is thinking about how he wants to build other happy memories that are completely different from the memories that I will build with him. Just amazing!

8 comments:

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

I am so happy to hear that Uncle G. wants to take the little tike fishing!.. speaking of fishing remember that special trip i'll be working soon... i found out i'm taking the EAGLE's Football team out!!!!!! heehehe i'm def gonna bring a football they are like my fav team!!!

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

oh add my blog to your page!!
jaimejaimelynnlynn is my name (well duh you'll see that with the post)

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

i dont' want to seem like a super commenter but>>> i decided to open the world of blog to greg and i read todays blog to him.. he said that it made him want to cry. greg seemed so happy for you and uncle g! i just wanted to share greg's emotion with you too because after today greg is considering blogging to get some of his feelings out!! THANKS for being such and insiration in my life and his!!!

Susan said...

That's why little boys need their daddys! They add a whole new element to their lives that a mother cannot do alone. Gerard is going to be a great dad!

Jillybean said...

awww this story is a tear jerker. so cute!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy, This is so sweet. It just shows that sometimes men don't express how they are feeling, but are feeling tons and tons and just show it in different ways. Sometimes I feel like I express every thought and feeling (so much more than Kevin), so when he does, it's a big deal! This post was the sweetest!!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It sounds like he is really thinking ahead and looking forward to those fishing trips!

Christen L said...

that's lovely. really. tugs at some heart strings. :)