Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What an Exciting Day!!

Okay not really! Made you look! I am a little silly today. What is exciting is this is my 100th post. I just can not believe that I have taken the time to some what document my adoption experience. I have had diaries or journals in the past but I have never really gotten past the first couple of entries. In my mind this blog first started out as a way for me to express my feelings about the adoption that perhaps my family or friends may not understand but has grown into some thing much larger.

At first I thought this would be a great way for our family and friends to read about where we are in the adoption process but honestly I think only one or two family members (Jilliebean) have actually looked at the blog. Answering questions about the adoption and the process can be a bit grueling. I know that many times when I am faced with some one who is questioning the process or has decided to be the "Devil's advocate" it is because that person may not fully understand what this adoption means to me or they do not understand the steps that I must take to become a mother.

I have faced family or friends that think they know everything about the process and have tried to "help" me by giving their opinion. Here are a few things that were suggested that I think are really funny.

"Just tell them you want to make one trip. It will easier for you."--Fine with me!

"Just tell them you have already been fingerprinted for your nursing licence."--Sure!

"Why don't you plan on traveling on this week because that week would be too expensive."--That is definitely better you are right!

"I think you could do this adoption for about $20,000 total. Why don't you shop around some more."--I figure that will just about cover my cost to travel!

Honestly, Gerard was very leery about me blogging about our adoption. We had talked about the things that we would allow on the blog and the things that we would not put on the blog. For the most part I have followed our initial ground rules with a few exceptions. The most important rule that we set was that we wanted to use this as a tool for me to remain positive. Know that is very different then only posting positive things. Tricky how I worded that!

I am not going to say that we have been overwhelmed with positive feedback from every family member or friend. What I am going to say is that I am using the power of blogging to work through those thoughts or perceptions so that the end result is a happy positive outlook. By gosh it is working. Even thought I am waiting I am happy!! I am excited!!

So to what family members and friends who do read this blog I love you all. Please ask me about how things are going because I love to talk about the adoption. Actually I will talk your ears off if you let me. Life is great.

Gerard and I are known for just doing things. The talk of the family is that I will call someone to walk Dottie and I will already be in Russia. Well you all guessed it that IS what we are planning at least for the first trip. But because the only one who reads this blog lives in Washington state I think our secret is safe. We will see if I can keep a secret.

7 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

100th post - YAY! We love reading blogs so keep on posting!! It really is a great way to connect to other people with the same goals/interests!

Unknown said...

Hi,

I have started reading your blog in the last month or so and it is a great comfort. My husband and I are in the process of adopting from Russia. We are with an agency that works with AAI. We are just finishing our home study. I know we have a long way to go but it is great to hear you express some the same "crazy" thoughts I have. I also appreciate the links to other adopting families websites. Thank you.

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

congrats on your 100th blog!!
you are wrong, someone close by is reading your blog!! and will be ready to walk dottie!
soon you'll have to check on my blog (work in progress)

Christen L said...

That's funny. Our family has been starting to ask a lot of questions in the past few months. Maybe I'll use some of your responses. haha.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Your post title definitely psyched me out!

cm

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy, Congratulations on your 100th post!! I have my ups and downs with the wait lately, but we are so excited, too. I need to think more positively that it will actually happen! I only started my blog in March, but I am so glad I did because I ended up meeting so many great people going through the same experience, many having the same feelings - It really helps!!

Unknown said...

Congrats on 100! I have really enjoyed reaidng your blog- it has been really nice to read along with another family going through the same process- especially since you keep positive!