Friday, September 7, 2007

Well, My First Home Study Meeting is DONE!

On September 6, 2007 I completed my first home study interview. I am sure that everyone has a part of the adoption process that worries them the most. Some people worry how will I pay for the adoption and still be able to take off some time once the baby comes. For me this is not a worry. I have spent the last 4 years saving for the adoption. I flipped a house in order to come up with the bulk of the money and have saved enough PTO so that I can take some time off to go to Russia. I will also be able to be off a little bit after the baby is here. I will still have to work but hopefully only part-time or 2 nights per night.

For me the home study interviews were what have racked my nerves. Not because I am not a good person or that I do not have a suitable house. These interviews worried me because the decision of this social worker is a make it or break it point in the adoption. If my home study is not favorable then the adoption is off at least in my mind. I am sure that my family has no idea how important and nerve racking this part of the process is for me.

But God has answered my prayers and was smiling down on me. I followed the guidance of my case worker at CHI about which agency I should use for my home study and I could not be happier. For the people who know me the best they know that of all the things that I love the best it is older beach cottages. I like things that are bright and painted white but on the distressed shabby side too.

So let me recap the day for you. I did not sleep real well the night before and the appointment was for me an early morning appointment 10:45am. I know that does not sound early but I work the night shift and the agency was over an hour away. I did not have directions so I had to call from the road (I hate that because I love Map quest). I tried to get a picture of me before I left and got very upset because I looked like I was going to a funeral and very upset. Gerard and I could not figure out the camera after I thought I knew how to use it so I got upset with him (Sorry). Then I felt like I left late. Great now I am even more nervous.

1. Scared of the interview
2. No picture
3. New camera not working (It really was working)
4. I did not know where I was going
5. Left late
6. Took out my nervousness on Gerard

So to say the least I was not feeling very positive. I know that if anyone who has already adopted or gone through this must know how I felt. Well let me say I prayed the whole way there that I would not get lost and that it was going to be okay. I knew the minute that I pulled up that everything was going to be okay.

The agency was in a beautiful little old pristine white beach house with a beautiful front porch. Immediately I was at ease. I knew this was the right decision, the right agency and that everything was going to be okay. The Social worker was wonderful and very familiar with CHI. I have my next appointment for my home visit on September 17, 2007. I already know that I have plenty time off before she comes to my house. I have to say I feel very relieved. I feel like I can breathe again.

I want to thank everyone who has supported me up until this point. Soon this part of the adoption will be over and I will be on to the next step.

5 comments:

Anita said...

So glad that things went well in the end. It's so difficult to be so hyped up about things and then minor things like the camera can ceate havoc! We aren't to the homestudy yet, but still filling out paperwork! Does it ever end?! Congrats on your first meeting under your belt!

Joy said...

Anita,
Yes I think the endless paper work ends. If you take one thing away from my experience is relax and be yourself. I can not wait for the home study to be done. I have a big list and I keep marking things off it that seems to help me.
Joy

Becky and Keith said...

Congrats on having your first appointment! It is much better when you feel comfortable with someone. And to answer Anita's question, the paperwork DOES end, but when it does and the waiting starts you wish you had the paperwork to keep you busy! :-) Have a great weekend!

Calico Sky said...

Oh Joy I am so pleased it went well. I could relate soooo much to your post!

vicki said...

joy, i am glad it went well for you, one step done another soon to come until finally at the end of it all is your child, god bless and will keep you in my prayers