Friday, September 14, 2007

Let's be a Lighthouse!



I have thought long and hard about how I want my child's room to be decorated. I know that this sounds a little selfish in one way but try to stick with me. As many know I have grown up near the ocean most of my life. The one constant in my mother's life has been her connection with her home town of Barnegat Light, New Jersey. My mother has always loved this town and in particular the Barnegat Lighthouse.



I have often thought that a coastal beach feel for my home is the most comfortable way for Gerard and me to live. Gerard loves the ocean, fishing and everything that goes with it so our Baby's room will mirror these loves. I have decided that we will focus on the Barnegat Lighthouse as the 'theme' for the room. This got me thinking about what is the underlying meaning of this 'theme'. I know Gerard and all of you are right I have been thinking too hard on this topic.




A lighthouse is a beacon for ships to signal danger but also to signal an area of save passage in the waterways. I want to be this beacon for my child. I want our home to be that safe place for him or her to grow; a place where love, understanding and discipline are delivered in the kindest of ways. Lighthouses are a constant in my mind. They never go away you can always find them in the day or night time. That is the type of mother that I want to be for my child. Lighthouses never come in out of a storm and are always their in the sunshine. I want to be there for my child during bad and good times. The light from a lighthouse shines in an unconditional non-judgmental way always bright. I want to love my child in that way unconditionally and non-judgmentally.



So see you are all right I have thought too much about this small thing of decorating a room for a baby but this is one small way that I will teach my child about life and the lessons that comes from living life to the fullest. We can all be the lighthouse in someone else’s life. Live life to the fullest, love like there is no tomorrow and be the best person that you can be always. If a friend needs you be there for both the good and the bad times.

7 comments:

Anita said...

I love the way you've thought about this, it's perfect for a mother/child relationship! The pictures are breath-taking!

Deb said...

WOW! That is so wonderfully put. I'm almost speechless.

I think that when our kiddo comes home I will buy a special lighthouse to add to the room as a significance of the kind of mother I too want to be.

I may use some of what you wrote in a scrapbook (hoping you don't mind). It's just amazing to think about it that way.

Joy said...

Debbie,
Please use what ever you need to make your child know that he or she is special.
Joy

Valerie said...

Love it! And love LBI too. We rented a house there for 2 years in a row and will do it again after our adoption is complete.

Have you seen the Pottery Barn boat bed? It is so darling! (But only for a boy!)

Joy said...

Valerie,
No I have not seen it yet. I love the Pottery Barn. I am going to have to take a look.

vicki said...

i love the idea of using a light house in your decorating, even if you are given a daughter, light houses are beautiful and so will be your childs room, beutifully decorated. thanks for sharing joy am keeping you guys in my prayers hugs

God's Girl said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm teaching at a women's retreat on this exact topic. I love how Jesus is our lighthouse and then we are that for our children.

Blessings to you!