Monday, September 3, 2007

Adoption Memory Books

I am sure that I am not alone when I say I want to capture every memory possible of my child. The hard thing is that I am a little envious of some of the things that are strictly made for family who do not adopt. Now before anyone starts to think that I may not be serious or am having second thoughts about my decision to adopt you are dead wrong. That is not the case at all. I have been very firm in my decision to adopt for many years. I just would like to see more things dedicated to documenting the process while honoring the birth parents and or country of origin in a respectful manner.

I know that I am still pretty far away from bringing my child home but that has not stopped me from dreaming. I think dreaming is what gets me threw the day. I was thinking today about the books that many new mothers use to capture their child's first moments. I have been wondering if anyone has found one that specifically deals with children who are adopted. I know that this blog is one way for me to put my thoughts down on paper but I was looking for something that I could use for the first foot prints and milestones in addition to the other unique things that I will be collecting for my child about Russia.

My friends at work say that I take the memory things too far but most of the time they are only joking. I make sure that the crib cards are complete and written out beautifully. I take extra pictures and encourage the parents to leave a disposable camera in the crib. Babies do the cutes things when they think no one is watching. When I know that a baby is being put up for adoption I make sure that both the birth parents and the adoptive parents have a duplicates of the crib cards and foot prints. I think this is the reason why I am so tund into these significant things. I wonder do they make crib cards or take foot prints of these things in Russia. Are these things given to the adoptive parents? Does anyone have any experience that they would like to share about this?

3 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

I have found some cute things on Ebay for adoptive parents in the scrapbooking section. I also heard if you take some of the journaling boxes with you to Russia the caregivers can write something about the child on them for you to keep. I thought that was a great idea!!

Joy said...

Rachel,
That is a great idea. I will definitely do that when I go.
Joy

Deb said...

I've found a few adoption related things in scrapbook stores and also on ebay. There's a site, I'll link it at the end, that has country specific adoption scrapbook stuff. I don't think I've ordered from them yet.

Oh and there are 'baby books' that are for adopted children. Check Barnes-n-noble.

I can't find the link but I'm searching for some sites and will do a post about it asap.

You can never do too much when it comes to perserving memories.