Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Baby Naming Rules

I think picking a name for a child is one of the hardest things a parent has to do in the early years. Should the name be unique and unusual or should the name be traditional. These are all things that need to be addressed when you name your child. Now add in the extra step of honoring the name that was given by either the birth parents or care givers. This is my dilemma.

Over the years I have heard many different names and I have to say I am very picky about what names I would even consider. I think the reason why I am so picky is because I am around when so many children are receiving their names. There is always a discussion about who likes or dislikes the name. Usually there is a wonderful story that goes along with how these two people came up with the name for their precious little one. Opinions are given even when the parents are not asking for one by just about everyone. More often then not I find myself in the middle of these discussions because the parents ask for my opinion or are looking for support for an unpopular decision.

I started the poll about whether parents think about what their child's initials spell because Gerard's initials spell something and as a result he refuses to use his middle name. I think besides him I was the only other person to realize that his initials spell G.A.S.

For a boy I love the name Gerard but here is the problem he hates it. He hates the fact that pretty much everyone spells it wrong or can not pronounce it. I have gotten him to agree to Gerard as a middle name. So now I have to wait to see what name the child has to see if it is something that I would like a first name or an additional middle name.

So here are the rules that I am using to determine what name I will.

1. Must be traditional
2. Must have a nice meaning
3. Initials or monogram must not spell anything crazy
4. Must be spelled the traditional way
5. Name must not be the most popular name of the year
6. Can not rhyme with something weird.

These were some of the things that I will be thinking about when we make the final decision on what name we will give the little bean. I know this list makes me sound very ridge but honestly I am not.

4 comments:

BlessedWithDaughters said...

I totally relate. Our BabyGirl's name means something very important to us, but everyone wants to spell it much differently than it is actually spelled. I didn't even choose a weird spelling of it...but...well, we live and learn.

OH, and before I forget, when I was growing up and before I took my married surname, my initials spelled M.A.D. I guess GAS is worse, but MAD was bad enough...

I feel the pain!

Min

Deb said...

Not ridged at all. The name is so important. I love #5! That's one of my must's too. We'll most likely keep their given name unless it doesn't fit where we live.
My favorite name for a girl has always been Petra Michelle. I was so scared that I would end up marrying a man with the last initial 'S.' Then she would be P.M.S. Thankfully I married a 'B.'

Susan said...

I think your name list is fair. I love names that can be shortened and made into a nickname and both of the names I like so far are nickname proof. Go figure. We've decided to come up with a few names we like and after we meet our child we'll see what name fits them best.

Anita said...

Very tough call, I know. When we were ttc, everyone HATED our name pics. I have a friend who when they had their first son someone commented negatively on their name selection and then they decided not to share any more, and just announced the baby as "Silas" when he was born. She is pg again and isn't sharing any ideas this time either. I think that's a good way to handle it, who would be negative after the baby is named? And Silas is sooo very Silas. I'm thinking once you see the lil bean you might "know" his/her name in your heart.