Saturday, September 1, 2007

Am I crazy or does everone do this?


I decided a number of years ago that I wanted to have or adopt a child. So I have dreamed about the day that I would have a little one calling me Mommy. I am one of those people who think that every baby should have a handmade gift for when they come home. I think handmade gifts reflect acceptance, preparation, but most importantly deep love for a child. I have given many handmade gifts to close friends and family members as a sign of my love and acceptance of their child into my family.


I love to quilt and to crochet. I do have to say that what I make depends on how close I am with the person. Some quilts have taken me months to complete and others have taken a few days. I my make a small blanket or a complete sweater set. I have also made christening gowns and embroidered undershirts for the christening with the date of birth, child’s name, and names of the god parents (Which by the way the person throw out; so no more gifts to her mental note.)


So I many years ago when I really started to yearn for a child I thought I should get started on a special quilt for my baby something that is by far the hardest pattern and most intricate of all the things that I will make. This quilt is completely handmade and consists of 684 one inch pieces of material. This goes back to my thoughts of acceptance, preparation and love. I hate to say it but I have now been working on this quilt for almost 8 years. Wow I said it. I try to work on it only when I am thinking loving thoughts about my future child. Each stitch is done with love. I am now by my estimation about 5-6 months away from completing this project. I think I will have it done in plenty of time for the baby's arrival. I hope one day to be able to post a picture of my child wrapped in this quilt for you all to see.


So am I crazy or have you all done something special in preparation for your child or is an 8 year project just an obsession. If you have done something like this please post to let me know that I am not crazy.

3 comments:

Anita said...

This is GORGEOUS! I am not a quilter, but my sister is, so I understand how much time and energy this has taken you. How absolutely perfect for your child! I'm sure they will cherish it their entire lives. I still have the baby quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was born. It's one of my most prized possessions.

No, I haven't done this, but you have given me a great idea! Crochet an afghan for my child, pray for him/her with every stitch!

And a resounding "NO" you are not crazy! But very thoughtful to pour so much love into something for your future child.

Troy and Rachel said...

The quilt is gorgeous!! I have never learned how to quilt, but I love cross stitch and will be making something for our son as well. Handmade gifts are the best kind!!

Joy said...

Anita and Rachel,
Thanks for your comments. For some reason it makes me feel better when others confirm that I am not crazy. I have been waiting so long to start the process that I feel like I am going to burst with excitement.
Joy