Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A very good question

No Gerard and I are not married. Yes, we have been together for 20 years and I have known him for 22 years in fact. Gerard and I were almost married once but for many reasons we decided to cancel the wedding. Gerard and I both agree that this was a biggest mistake. Recently, I have even seen him become very upset by the fact that the wedding was cancelled. I was hurting over the loss of my father and also hurt when we canceled the wedding...loss of a dreams I guess.

Will we ever get married? This is always the big question and in fact many think we are secretly married. No we are not secretly married. The answer to this question of will we ever get married still eludes me. I may never marry Gerard or I might marry him next week. I think if we do get married it will be a quick service in private (Gerard, Anna and I) once again the loss of a dream.

One of the things that both of us struggle with is getting past the fact that we cancelled the wedding once, whose to say that one or both of us may decide to cancel it again. I do not expect anyone to understand our relationship and really no one needs to but us. Please understand that I do have feelings so please be kind if you can when commenting on this subject.

Anonymous asked:

On the single mothers group I'm in, there must have been about 15 people who had this experience, they were not married (obviously) and most said they "felt" like they were adopting together, but, they said looking back (they all broke up, but 1) he really wasn't acting/feeling/being a father, there was a difference, more like a step child he loved than his child. I'm not saying this is what your family is like, but do you think when a couple has to adopt as a single (aka unmarried) it lends itself to a difference and that is one of the reasons for a man holding back on embracing fatherhood?

I think by far this has been the best question that anyone has ever asked me about my relationship with Gerard and how that relates to him being her Father. I knew there was a reason my I still allow anonymous comments.

I think the attachment and bonding part of adopting is hard, in fact very hard. I think that many adoptive parents walk a fine line when it comes to attachment and bonding. I fear I may always question whether or not Anna is fully attached and bonded to me. I am a sceptic so accepting that everything is perfect in that area of my life can be very hard.

I can not directly speak about Gerard's feelings because they are his own but I can tell you the behaviors that I have seen as my observations. Gerard is her Father and will always be her Father. I find it hard to explain but it was like a light switch was flicked on the minute he saw her face in a picture. When I found out about Anna I had traveled to Detroit for a meeting with my agency because things were rocky with their financial situation. I was not able to see his face when I told him but to say he was excited is an understatement.

For him becoming her Father was much more fluid for him then it was for me, which shocked me. I care for babies at work and I know the physical side of caring for them like the back of my hand. For me the start of Motherhood was a bit more rocky. I struggled in fact. I remember being in the store with Anna and Gerard once and I watched her hug him from the corner of my eye and I thought "Who is that child?" This was an extremely brief thought and one I have not had since. This thought I think is the reason why I take so many pictures of Anna and have them displayed around my house.

Caring for another woman's infant you put up a wall toward that child (I am now speaking in terms of my professional side). You are not asked or expected to love or even have a tender thought for that child. I think this is the reason why I was and still am so devastated that I did not have a maternity leave where I was able to completely focus on my child. The three weeks prior to learning my Mother had cancer I had a surprise visitor everyday. The routine, bonding and attachment that I was working so hard to establish was not being respected. Even today the biggest offenders do not understand how upset I was and still am that my few simple rules were not followed.

When families are formed new roles emerge. I am a pretty outspoken person, Gerard is quite shy and quiet. When I first met I called him by the wrong name for about 3 months and he never corrected me. Gerard would much rather avoid confrontation where as confrontation does not bother me. Our personal relationship issue did not stem from Gerard not acting like Anna's Father but more from not protecting our plan when it came to attachment and bonding. Rather then him confronting those in his family who made demands on us he decided that avoidance was the better option, avoid the conversation specifically about the holidays and just do what we wanted. What Gerard did not realize is every conversation that he avoided I was then confronted with and at a time in my life when I did not need extra issues to deal with.

I never doubted that Gerard would be a good Father he is wonderful with children. I think is quiet nature was an advantage for Anna, remember she had very limited contact with men prior to coming home. To this day Anna eats better for him then me. Feeding her was one of his main jobs when she first came home. Just today I was stopped by a woman in the store who recognized Anna who told me how cute it was to see her with her Daddy at the park every week.

So I guess for us and our situation I do feel like Gerard has not held back when it comes to being Anna's Father. I believe that I am one of the lucky ones however. Anna, her happiness and well being is his first concern.

8 comments:

Ms. Elaine said...

I have started several times to ask questions but since I don't know you and it is really none of my business, I had refrained but now that others have brought up the subject I am wondering. How can Gerard be Anna's father in any way except by you saying so? I thought I had read that you adopted her. I know you were the one that went to Russia and you were the one that completed all the paperwork. If you are not married how does he have any tie to her other than your relationship? If something were to happen to you, would he be her legal gardian? I guess you can tell by my questions, I am all about marriage and really don't understand the hurt feelings etc. It seems that it is very hard for for forgiveness in this relationship whether it be from a broken engagement or for those in your life who did not understand but truly wanted to be a part of Anna's life. I will be the first to say I don't understand all the bonding issues with adoption but I know as a granny of birth grandbabies I can't get enough of loving mine! Again this is really none of my business but as I have read your blog....sometimes I am very confused with your post.

Anonymous said...

Well, I worry that you say "it takes time for the cream to rise to the top". Well, after 20 years, it's time for the cream to rise.

For Anna's sake, I would think it best if you guys made a committment to each other.

I don't need to write this - I'm sure everyone else tells you this too! But honestly, you guys either need to committ and officially make Gerard Anna's father, or you need make Gerard Anna's uncle or something like that.

Can Gerard legally adopt Anna without being married to you? It would be much cleaner, obviously, if you two got married. I look forward to the announcement here!

MtnGirl said...

I, myself, have a different type of marriage and quite honestly it is no one's business but mine and his. Joy, I think YOU and Gerard need to do what is right for yourselves and Anna. I understand about hurt feelings - guess other folks are not human and don't have feelings or have "perfect" lives. Whatever! Good for them....Take care of yourself, Anna and Gerard.

Melissa said...

Anna has a Mommy and a Daddy and a wonderful life. I don't see how labels matter. But then again I now work in a school system where "family" has its own unique definition. But yes, I have wondered if Gerard has thought about adopting Anna too. But that only seems like a legality. It really isn't anyone's business but yours and you both need to do what is right for the whole family. I think your post was well written. You are lucky to have Gerard and so is Anna. I know he's a great Dad.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I am a lot like you, Joy, in that I am very direct!

Your relationship with Gerard is no one's business as others have commented.

But...your writing suggests you are uncomfortable with your "relationship", that you are "waiting for the cream to rise" and just plain old "waiting" in general in the "Gerard" department.

This is not "mean spirited" and I would take it with a grain of salt if you don't agree or don't like.

Joy, most married men don't cheat - most are one women men. Most men are good "playmates" with their kids. Most men love their wives unconditionally, even after they are "mean" for a period. Most men change diapers - but we'll let that one go. Point is - don't confuse "playmate" with "parent."

You are very strong, brave woman and both you and Anna deserve nothing less than "perfect". Dont' let go of your dreams.

Anonymous said...

Joy, I'm the annonymous who asked the question and I think your response is fabulous (I'm sorry I'm having issues on my computer and can't currently "sign in" which is why it said annonymous!). I know many couples who are together without marriage and have children together and make super families :) I think the reason I asked was that all the single mom's (adopters) mentioned when they were with someone it was different for him once they adopted (having said that I know couples not married who chose to have kids together and they didn't have this experience). I think you rightly highlight that adoption is probably quite different. It is interesting that there is somewhat of a trend here for adoptive mamas.

I too won't ever marry with that big wedding (is not my dream at all, for me it's a waste of money and it just doesn't represent who I am). But I have made the decision for faith, personal and "what I've recently learned" reasons that I'm either single or married when it comes to adopt. I think for me, that is right for myself and my children - so we all know where we stand and I'm scared that for my kids who will already have been abandoned that they will lose someone else (of course that could happen in a marriage too!). But I want them to know that the mama and papa in their lives are legally forever their parents and no one can take that away from them.

It has been very interesting to learn that this is a real issue for women in a couple (not married) who adopt. I hope you know therefore, you are not alone! And of course you absolutely have the right to examine and decide what is right for you and Anna :) (and one thing I know is what is right for some is not necessarily right for others!!)

Anna is simply adorable and I wish you, Gerard and her the best :)

Thank you for the grace by which you answered my question! I think that showed incredible strength and character!

Anonymous said...

Why do people end comments with "it is none of my business" yet share judgment so freely? I think one can be single and still "all about marriage" but it isn't an idealized end or guarantee. I am all about people being nice but that doesn't happen either. :) Joy, don't let a few people dull your shine - focus on the good, you have too much to offer.

MBKimmy said...

I think that Anna is blessed to have both of you! NO MATTER of the label that is on your relationship! For people to question what you and Gerard call yourselves is unfair -
You have made a HUGE commitment in the past 20 years - longer than MOST "marriages" last!

I like your blog, hope you don't leave us and really I will continue to appreciate the love that Anna gets from both of you!