Thursday, October 21, 2010

First Field Trip

Today was Anna's first field trip to the Seaport in town. I have lived here over 20 years and never been to the Seaport some how I am amazed by this fact. The morning did not start off great. Anna was a bit over tired because for the last two nights I have had some meetings for work that pulled me away from our nightly routine add in my regular work schedule and that is a recipe for a meltdown.

I was expected to be at the school with Anna for a 10 am departure at 9:50 am I was still trying to get her tights on which means I did not make it to the school until about 10:05 am. I rushed in to find the class had left. I thought darn it I wanted her to get to ride the school bus. I drove around the back of the school to find it had not left. I parked and jumped on the bus with Anna.

She was super excited to be on the school bus. The drive is less then a five minute drive from her school but very exciting for her. We exited the bus and split up into two groups. First we learned how caterpillars turn into butterflies then we got a chance to make a butterfly from a coffee filer but the best part was when the story of the Very Hungry Caterpillar was being read to us.

Next we learned about turtles and horseshoe crabs. Did you know that every vaccine is tested first on horseshoe crab blood to see if it is safe for humans? Even I learned some thing new in preschool today. We also got to see how duck decoys are made and then it was back to the bus for our long 5 minute trip back to school.

Once she was off the bus it was time for playing on the playground. They all lined up and marched to the playground. I picked Anna up after lunch and she was very excited.

I think the best part of the day was when I watched her run threw the gates at the playground straight for the slide. She was so happy to be able to play outside with her class mates. I did have a brief I think I might cry because she never looked back to see if I was there. I think as a Mother through adoption there are many times when you second guess the bonding and attachment stuff. I was talking with Mrs. S. for a couple of minutes and out of the corner of my eye I could see her running my way. She wanted me to know that she went down the slide. Bless her little heart. I told her I saw her and that it looked like fun. She repeated "Fun" back to me and I told her it was okay to go play and that I would be picking her up after lunch.

I think her exhaustion has just set in for the week because Gerard and I decided to go out for tacos tonight for dinner. As I pulled into the parking lot I looked back to see her sleeping soundly at 5:40 pm. We still decided to go in to eat in the hopes that she might wake up because bedtime is 8pm and I was afraid she would not go to sleep tonight but not only were we able to eat dinner with her cuddled in my lap but I got her back into her car seat, home and into bed where she is sound asleep.


Anna working on her butterfly

1 comment:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I love it when they sleep in your lap!! Talk about absolute trust in the Mama! : ) Now that is bonding time. . .