Friday, October 8, 2010

Picture day

As a child I can remember picture day as being a big deal. I think this is a girl thing. When I look back at my school pictures the ones I love the best are the ones of the whole class in the gym. I went to a very small school and I believe their were only 2 or 3 classes for each grade so I can pretty much still name everyone in the pictures. I do hope that there is a class picture in this package for Anna.

Now as a Mother picture day is a whole different type of big deal. I was assured that pictures would be taken right away in the morning. Honestly I never thought about that but I guess girl's hair can get messed up throughout the day. I never thought about that because many of the pictures that I love the most of Anna her hair is a bit messy or wind blown.

The "outfit" now that is the next big concern for Mothers at least for me. Many times I think Anna is a bit over dressed for preschool but I think it is important for her to look nice everyday. Anna has always enjoyed her baths every morning and still does before school and usually again at night. The girl just loves water.

I think more opportunities are presented to you if you are clean and neatly dressed. I want Anna to know and understand that how she presents herself in some cases is how she will be perceived. Is is right to judge a book by the cover no and certainly not people as I have been judged in the past but this is a fact of life. Will I teach Anna to not make assumptions based on appearance, Yes I will but this is an ugly fact of life.

Back to school pictures, I picked out a pair of jeans and a shirt with a little dog on it. I will say I struggled because I have just thinned out some of Anna's clothes for a friend and I had not had a chance to iron much of Anna's clothing. Yes I iron it all at once then hang it up. Most dresser draws in our house are empty. I am blessed with big closets.

I was working into picture day so La-La had Anna. She and Me-Me amaze me because they both take things from her closet and put it with other things to make very cute outfits. I will say I got a veto on the outfit I picked out. La-La thought she needed something a bit more dressy.

She pulled out a dress that I thought might be too small but I was wrong. La-La paired it with tights and tan shoes and ta da an outfit suitable for pictures was born. I am interested to see what her pictures will look like because to be honest I sweat when ever I take her for professional Check Spellingpictures. Yes I am laughed at because my family feels there are way too many pictures of her I say there are never enough.

I just never thought I would ever be sending a child to preschool and I certainly never thought that I would EVER had to think about picture day. I feel so blessed. This little tradition that many may just never think about is a gift.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh. I can't wait to see the photos. I can't believe I am waiting for picture day as well. I don't think Colby's is for a little while yet. Unfortunately, I don't have much say on the outfit since there is a uniform policy. But how am I going to get that hair of his not to stick up???
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Picture day is awesome!!! I never thought we would have it either. . .now we have four a year at Aidan's school! So, I do two dress nice and two where he is dressed like his usual self. It works!! And I love each picture, too.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Awww! I can't wait to see them!!