Thursday, September 30, 2010

3 Year old check up

Monday I took Anna for her 3 year old check up. Anna remains small for her age, I have not plotted her measurements out onto a growth chart as of yet to determine where she falls. Anna has gained 2.5 lbs since her last visit and now weights 25.5 lbs with clothes on. She also grew close to 1/2 of an inch to make her 35 inches tall now.

Dr. V. looked over her vaccine records and noticed that Anna was due for a couple of shots. I also requested that she have the Flu vaccine which was also included. In total Anna received 4 shots. The first 2 I think just took her by surprise the second 2 the tears were already flowing. I held her for over an hour while she cried. I so wish she did not have to have all 4 but I am fighting the system a bit here. Anna had a fever the one night and none since then.

The school system does not want to accept Anna's vaccine record because her vaccines were done in Russia. I of course told the school nurse that I have no problem having Anna vaccinated but I do have a problem with having additional vaccines if they are not needed. I told the school nurse that Anna has had all her titers drawn for each of the vaccines and she told me that she does not believe that this is acceptable. No I did not tell her I was a nurse because I want a full and complete explanation as to why they are not acceptable. If the doctor who cares for Anna thinks it is acceptable then I think it is too. So today I will spend some time getting her lab work together and getting a note from Dr. V. stating that Anna is up to date and that no additional vaccines are needed at this time.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

You should be able to sign a waver for the vaccines witht he school. They have to accept kids without vaccines due to religious reasons, I see no difference there. Our doctor said it might come up and just to sign the waver.
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Good for you! don't get the vaccines, definitely!, if they aren't needed. Poor anna. . .I think this little ones have been poked and prodded more than the average child. . . Aidan always asks, the minute we get to the dr.'s office if he is going to get a shot. It's soooo sad!

Sarah said...

That is very upsetting to me that her vaccines wouldn't be accepted. The titers prove her immunity. I have never had an issue with this and I have 2 adopted kids from Russia. I would push back on this. The nurse is out of line. Best of Luck!

Janet said...

Joy I do agree with Melissa and think you can sign a waver! Also I do think the nurse was way out of line! Janet

Rich and Jolynn said...

Uhm, that is scary! Did the nurse even think about what it would mean to give her an over dose of a particular vaccine? I am starting to think the system is broken.... Loved the disney trip pics & post :) such a happy time.. I think Jacob would rather go see "Monster Trucks".