Thursday, September 9, 2010

Her "first" real haircut!

When I first saw Anna's picture she was about 12 months old. She only had a little bit of hair growing in just like a baby should have. When I met Anna for the first time her was even shorter. I was sad that I did not get to feel the softness of her baby fine hair. During the time that I spent apart from her I secretly wished that they would not cut her hair again. On my second visit visit I realized that not only did they cut her hair but it was quite uneven.

As a practical person I do understand the reasons why her hair was cut. Short hair was easier for the caregivers to keep neat and clean. Plus in some baby homes I am sure that lice could be a problem. Anna did not have lice but checking for lice in short hair again is much easier then in longer hair.

I was also sad at the thought that her hair cut was not a celebration. I do tear up every time I think of all the firsts that I missed or that went unnoticed. I wonder when was the first time she smiled or laughed? What was it that made her laugh? I think this is the reason why I was so upset this past Christmas but back to her "first" hair cut.

Gerard and I decided very early on that we would wait to get Anna's hair cut. I can tell you that we did take quite a bit of heat over the fact that some times her hair was in her face. Keeping a clip or bow in her hair can be near impossible at times. What the people who criticized us about not cutting her hair or telling us about it being in her face did not understand is the pain that I felt for Anna about missing her first hair cut. I do wonder if she was scared or worried when it would happen or if it was just another part of her day.

Fast forward to yesterday...Jaime's SIL is a hairdresser and has just opened a beautiful shop right in town. Gerard got us a gift card for her first hair cut. Yesterday I decided that we should clean up her hair a little bit before she starts school and for her Baptism. Yes I said school so next week should prove to be interesting.

We decided to just get her hair trimmed. Honestly you can hardly tell that it was cut but combing it is a little easier. So of course pictures!
Waiting her turn and running a muck!

Can you say smart girl...This hairdresser has an iPhone loaded with children's games.

I love the way her hair flips under now when it is dry.

I got a new do yesterday as well not a whole lot different but a little different. Tomorrow I will get my color applied so hopefully I will post a picture on Saturday.

5 comments:

JennStar said...

I know it has to be hard to not have all of those "1st"- but in my mind, I would consider this to be her 1st hair cut. Primarily because of the love and attention that goes along with it! Congrats on another 1st with this sweet little girl!

Melissa said...

It looks great and Anna seemed to have a good time. Nice job! And yes, I'd call it her first cut too. Can't wait to hear more about school! That is a huge step, thankfully one that Colby did amazingly well with. Not sure about Mom yet.
Melissa

Kimberly M said...

Her new hair cut is adorable! I have a little girl also and here is a tip for getting those bows to stay in place. My little Alyson has thick brown curly hair and we are letting her bangs grow so all her hair is one length. I just sweep the front of her hair over to the side and do just a little pony tail of only the front hair and then put it in a teeny tiny rubber band. Then stick the bow in - it stays SO much better that way. I usually buy the little rubber bands in the baby section at Wal-Mart. Just an idea! : )

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Beautiful! And I used to do the same thing with my Blackberry. . .hand it to Aidan to let him look at the pictues I have of him on there! Worked like a charm. Anna will be precious for her Baptism.

Shelly and Steve said...

Anna is certainly growing up to be a beautiful girl!! I love the hairstyle with the longer bangs....may have to use that style on our little Anna. The bottom picture is just studio quality....good job!