Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pre-School....

First attempt foiled! Last Thursday Gerard and I went to an informational meeting about the pre-school in our district. The actual first day of school was earlier in the week but we had to wait until Anna's IEP meeting for Speech therapy was competed so the earliest her first day could have been was Friday. I will say after that meeting I was completely freaked out about the process. Yup I put the brakes on everything to some degree.

Just a little over a year ago I had no control at all. After my first meeting with Anna I had put her down looked up and she was gone. Today things are much different as I navigate through becoming her Momma. the thoughts of putting Anna into the care of another person although qualified is difficult for me. Unlike other parents I already know what that feels like and I can say for certain that I do not like it.

I am usually not a passive-aggressive person but I know for fact I have been dragging my feet when it comes to pre-school. I never actually handed in her application or records. So because of that the new earliest date Anna could attend pre-school would have been Monday.

Sunday night I was warming up to the idea of Anna going to school on Monday morning then one big sneeze changed it all. Let me start by saying I am not the running to the doctor type for every little sneeze. Then Anna told me "Hot." Darn it she was hot. Just a low grade fever and as the night progressed a cough too. So the start of pre-school has been foiled.

Once the runny nose stops then I will send her to her first day. I do believe that it is reckless of me to send her in this condition. I will officially say I take it all back. I love that I work the night shift. If I had counted on her being at pre-school for child care I would have had to call out sick myself. I have a new appreciation for those who have to send there children to daycare.

I am hoping that she will be better tomorrow and perhaps she can attend school tomorrow. Thursday is back to school night. I feel lucky to be off and will be attending. Tell me again why you do not get the chance to meet the teachers before you have to send your child to school?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I definitely can understand your reservations about preschool. I have had them myself. But now that Colby is there and I see the fun he is having and how the social interaction has been so good for him (ok, yes, even the bus), I must admit that my reservations were slightly, ok most definitely selfish. I am not ready for him to grow up and spend his day with other people and me not know what he is doing. But, I can't keep him home forever. Preschool is the best thing for Colby. You need to decide what is best for you, Gerard, and Anna. Get her feeling better first, enjoy back to school night and then make a decision. Best of luck. But knowing you and Anna how I do, I think she'll do great.
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I understand your hesitation. I was freaked out too. But, Aidan is doing so awesome and he is totally excited at the end of the day to see me and tell me about all he's done. AND, I absolutely made it a point to meet and talk to the teachers before each transition. I will do the same when he starts kindergarten next year as well. . .have you thought about checking into Catholic School? I would have done that if one had been close. . .

Bottom line, she'll be fine and you will too. : ) But, we'll keep you all in our prayers!

JennStar said...

Really, open house isn't until after school starts- that is a bit off, IMO. And you made the right decision about her little cold and the start of school. She'll do much better starting school when she's 100%, I'm sure!

Janet said...

Love the pictures of Annas Baptism! She is so beautiful the toe story made me smile.Will wait to hear about Annas first day at pre-school Janet