Monday, May 16, 2011

My Homecoming

Has it really been that long? I want to rewind back a little bit to my home coming because it was important to us. As you all know I was out of town for 4 days last week. Anna was a little distressed at the airport but thank goodness Gerard was able to get her completely calmed down before I had to walk in to the airport.

The night before I came home Gerard called me to tell me that she was upset. She told him "Anna needs Momma! Where Momma? Anna needs Momma!" When he called me she could hear my voice on the other end of the phone. She grabbed the phone to tell me the same thing. The poor baby was crying. Between Gerard and I we were able to settle her down. I told her that as soon as I got home I would hold her and give her a bottle.

Originally Gerard was going to pick me up from the airport but at the last minute I decided to take the train to a station in New Jersey and ride home with my sister. That option was a much longer trip and I have been told by Gerard "never again." I will admit it did make for a very long travel day for me. Live and learn.

Gerard and Anna were out front weeding the flower beds when we pulled up. When I got out of the car she looked confused then she started yelling, "Momma, Momma home." She ran to me and gave me an never ending hug then to Gerard to tell him one more time that I was home. As I picked her up she must have remembered what I told her the night before, instantly she told me "Hold, baba, hold Anna now." Anna only drinks a bottle for me and rarely for Gerard. I find that it is comforting for her.

For the next couple of days she was glued to my hip. At times she has been a little uneasy if my Mother or La-La stops by but we all tell her right away that they are just here to visit. Then she tells them "Anna stays with Momma!" So that is how Anna fared while I was gone. I know she missed me and I got a warm welcome so which tells me that many of the decisions that we have made in the past in terms of attachment and bonding are working.

How did Gerard fair? I think this is best done by bullet points.

-He learned that losing a puzzle piece can be traumatic
-He learned that you can have two puzzles out but not on the same table
-He now understands why I put on the timer at dinner time
-He learned that playing outside keeps the house cleaner
-He learned it hurt to see Anna cry for me
-He learned that holding and talking to Anna is way more important then he thought

In all I really think that this trip came at just the right time. Gerard did a great job with Anna while I was gone. I feel like with our past work schedules he missed out on so much. This trip just reinforced that he loves to spend time with Anna. She is a really neat kid with a huge imagination.

I could not imagine having to travel like that for a living. My heart goes out to all the working parents who have to travel like this to make a living. I am not sure what is on the horizon for Gerard. He may have to travel a bit for work. We have done a little bit of talking about this being a possibility. In the past we would have never considered moving to be close to a job but with the price of gas it may be something we have to consider, right now nothing is off the table.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Anna has completely bonded with you. Even though she was sad, that has to be somewhat of a relief (silver lining.) I remember the first time my dd (whom we adopted at 16 months) cried for me when she was upset/hurt. Even though I was not happy that she was sad, I was so relieved that she showed major bonding...

Still love your blog!!

Julie W.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I love nice homecomings like that! It warms me from my head to my toes. . .Great bonding work, my dear!