Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Did you know...

that one of my favorite varieties of sunflowers have Russian roots? Please pardon the pun.


No really Russian farmers in the beginning of the 19th century grew these beautiful flowers by the acre. The need was developed by the Russian Orthodox church because during Lent other types of oils were not to be consumed. Here is a link to the history of the Mammoth Russian sunflowers

I found out this piece of information strictly on accident when I was planning a project with Anna's class in April. Usually I spend way too much money on annuals for my flower beds. This year I just felt like the money could serve us better in other areas. I LOVE flowers really I do. In the summer time I always have a tiny bouquet of flowers by the kitchen sink from my garden.

I was feeling a little sad for two reasons: First since I broke my arm 2 years ago gardening has become something that is painful my elbow hurts all the time. My love of gardening has not stopped but my ability to just do it myself has.

Second since Gerard has been home he has taken over the gardening or should I say the spring clean up. His idea of spring clean up included removing some of my grasses, perennials and banning me from planting anything. The ban on me is because I am odd (okay if you have met me you know I am) and like things in odd numbers. Gerard is even (Okay if you know him you know it is true), everything thing is even, straight and orderly. We could not be more different.

Which brings me back to feeling a little sad over my gardens. They are all clean, neat, orderly and missing the random annuals that I usually put here and there and every where. I remembered seeing in a magazine a children's garden where tee-pee was made from Mammoth Russian sunflowers and morning glories. The sunflowers and morning glories were planted in a circle. once the sunflowers were tall enough the Mother tied the tops together to form a tee-pee. The morning glories grew up the sunflowers.

I looked through my garden supplies and found some seeds for both. I convinced Gerard that the sunflowers were a good thing. Anna and I got his okay so the sunflowers and morning glories have been planted. I just checked and we have a few small seeds poking out of the ground. I am no longer sad and instead I am envisioning a big bouquet of sunflowers on the dining room table.









The next time you see a big, beautiful sunflower you might just think of Russia too.

P.S. Melissa this made me think of those beautiful pictures of Colby at the sunflower farm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna looks so grown up! I love her hair in a pony tail.

Melissa said...

I LOVE sunflowers too. Hence our visits with Mike's aunt to the sunflower farm. We always plant a few seeds along the back of our garden in front of the fence. Now our fence is gone, not sure where they will go this year. But yes, I have planted that type and I don't think I realiazed they were Russian. Very cool!
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

We planted some of those too!!! Can't wait to see how they do. . .You all sound like you are having the time of your lives. Love it!!

Amanda said...

One of our translators in Russia told us how our girls reminded her of sunflowers as looked at the photos from our first trip to meet our daughters. They would grow and light up in our arms like sunflowers grow toward the sun. She said she always sees the children flourish in the arms of adoptive parents like she sees sunflowers grow toward the sun. Just as the sunflowers grow toward the sun, our girls would know to look toward us to grow. It was such a sweet analogy to me and our girls became our little sunflowers. It was an added bonus that the road to the city where our girls were was lined with fields of sunflowers when we went to pick them up. I had told my mom the sunflower analogy while we were in Russia. When we arrived home at the airport, all our friends and family were holding or wearing sunflower corsages. So, sunflowers hold a sweet spot in my heart as well.