Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kansas City here I come

Well actually Independence, Missouri here I come. When I was waiting for Anna I completed my Bachelor's degree in Nursing. I was lucky because I was able to do it all online. I was all set up to continue with the same school but was waiting because those classes were 5-6 weeks long and very intense. If I decided to stay with my current school I would only need 29 more credits toward my MSN.

I am glad I waited. I have found a new school that I can do most of the course material online with the exception of the two visits to Independence, Missouri and the clinical portion. Once I am finished I will have a Masters degree in Nursing and qualify to sit to become a Nurse Practitioner (NP). If I had stayed with my previous school I would not have met the requirements to sit for my NP.

So what does that mean? What this means is as a Nurse Practitioner I will have many more opportunities within my career to earn more money with the potential of being out of the house less. Working the night shift takes a toll on a person. Both Gerard and I have aged as a result of us not sleeping as much as we need to sleep. My hopes is that one day soon Gerard and I will both be back to working the day shift. I think that with the ability to work as a Nurse Practitioner I may be able to drop down to part time hours.

Why now? Well to put it simply I must because legislation has changed. If I were to wait I would need to have a doctorate in nursing. My current employer will pay for a portion of my MSN but will not pay for any portion of a doctorate. I must have this degree completed and be licenced as a Nurse Practitioner before 2015.

How will this affect Anna? My hope is that she will not be affected much at all. Anna will be enrolled into summer camp preschool that will be 4 days per week. Gerard and I struggled with should we send her to summer preschool. Gerard did not want her to go mostly because he wants her to be able to have a break from school. I on the other hand wanted her to go because her speech therapy will continue throughout the summer.

We discussed this and the final decision was we will send Anna to summer preschool. We think Anna will benefit greatly from this program. My hope is to be able to complete my school work when Anna is at school. In September I think Anna will start all day pre-school so I will have more time to complete my classroom work.

I will be missing Mother's day with Anna because of traveling but Gerard and Anna have plans on taking me to breakfast then the airport. I like to think everyday is Mother's day anyway. So if you were traveling to Kansas City or should I say Independence, Missouri what would you do or want the see? I love to explore new places.

3 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

The arch, for sure. . .or is that in St. Louis? Not sure. Enjoy, though! You will be great! And you are absolutely right: Every day is Mothers Day! What a joyful thing!

Melissa said...

Have a great trip. Enjoy your time in a new place. Not sure what is in Independence. But good luck with your new adventures!
Melissa

Masha said...

The Arch is in St Louis :). We're across the state so no dice on that one. LoL. Harry Truman was from Independence so his house and presidential library are there. That's about it! :) Have fun here and hope it isn't too rough being away from Anna!