Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Mickey Mouse Kid

Before I first met Anna, Gerard and I talked about the day we would take her to see Mickey Mouse in Disney World. Gerard always said that we would hold off until she was a little bit older so that she could remember the trip and know who some of the characters were first. Before I left on my first trip we agreed that we would wait until then.

When I went to meet her for the first time she found a cup in my bag with Mickey Mouse of it. I was amazed to see her little face light up as she pointed at Mickey. Later during that visit I was taken to watch her eat. The dish and cup she was given to use had Mickey Mouse on it. One of my favorite pictures is of her eyeing me over her cup as she drank her juice.



Time passed as I waited to return to her. In the back of my mind I had been thinking if Anna is home by this date maybe we can take her to Disney for her birthday. That date came and went. During the wait I teased Gerard that she did know who Mickey Mouse was so we would be going sooner then he thought.

It was not until my second visit on my second trip did I realize that she was the Mickey Mouse kid. We had been walking around out side playing on the play ground and she took me in to see her care giver. The care giver when to get her some water and out came the same Mickey Mouse cup. I remember thinking I just want to touch it. I tried to give her some water from the cup but she would have no part of it at all. When I went to the bathroom I saw that this cup was part of a larger set Disney characters cups and plates that the children used to eat and drink from everyday.

I imagine that she probably drank from that cup and ate from that plate for over a year, everyday. I have looked for the cup or plate on Ebay and have not seen one that was close yet but I will keep searching.

Fast forward to today.

We were watching Lion King for about 4,339,555,456 time in a row, in the previews there is a part that shows a couple of kids packing to go to Disney. We were sitting there doing a puzzle waiting for the show to start and I said "Do you want to go to see Mickey Mouse?" The reaction was one that I never expected. She burst out with a frantic "Peas, Peas, go" pointing at herself and then the TV. I told she had to ask Daddy first. She found my phone and put it in my hand to call him, then once she heard his voice she took the phone away and started with "Peas, Peas, go" pointing at the TV and then herself.

Gerard not knowing what was going on I clued him in. I told him if I can make it happen what do you think? He laughed which translates to "Fine with me." I laughed because once I set my mind to some thing I find a way to get it done.

A couple of days pass by and no talk about going to Disney but my wheels are turning.

Anna's birthday is fast approaching and anyone who knows me well knows that I will be the first one to jump on a plane to go just about anywhere at a moments notice. So last week I was checking airfares on Spirit to Florida. I was shocked and amazed to see a 9 dollar flight to Orlando with a matching 9 dollar flight home. Panic set in and I clicked accept. I bought 3 round trip tickets to Florida for Anna's birthday week!!! Grand total of 166.00 dollars for 3 tickets (taxes and fees). I knew I would be able to get a cheap hotel in Orlando for late September but I never thought that I would find one at Disney's Caribbean Beach resort for 100.00 dollars. So for less then 500 hundred dollars we are going to Disney for Anna's birthday.

I am planning on only going to the Magic Kingdom for one day because our trip will be a short one so that we can be home for the weekend for a more traditional birthday party with family and friends. Elated does not truly explain how excited I am for us. This was a dream I had over a year ago that I never thought was going to be possible.

14 comments:

Tiger & Kar said...

Yay for Anna (and you & Gerard of course)! Over Memorial Day, I took Cubby to Disney to celebrate our 2nd "Welcome Home anniversary" and we both had a BLAST! He was 3 years old and I was concerned about whether he'd remember the trip or not, but I didn't have to be. He still constantly talks about the trip, the characters, and even all the rides (and yes, this includes the ones he wasn't able to go on).

In fact.....we are going back to Disney at the end of September / beginning of October. It would be amazing if we're there at the same time. We've been fortunate to attend 2 Russia Reunions this year, and love the opportunity to meet other families. Drop me a line if you want to so we can compare dates. I certainly don't want to intrude on the birthday celebration though!

I haven't commented on your blog in ages, but I do follow all the time. It would be great to meet in person!

Have a great trip!
Karyn, Norm & Cubby

Deb said...

What a great story. Love how excited she was about going to see Mickey. That is an awesome deal, too good to pass up for sure. So glad she'll get to see the real Mickey. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

You know there's a blogger that lives close by Disney and is waiting for their referral of a girl from Russia, JennStar (she's in my sidebar). Do you read her blog? If not check her out. They go to Disney often and she can give you great tips. Plus I'm sure she'd love to meet you and Anna.

Melissa said...

Oh oh.... me come too!

I can't wait to bring COlby there one day. I haven't been in ages.
Melissa

Nancy said...

How wonderful! Joshua was only 2 1/2 on his trip to Disney but he still remembers it! We made him a photo album of our trip. Have a great time!

JennStar said...

How awesome is that!!! Wer live locally and got o Disney often! We're a Disney famioly for sure. And that is one of our favorite resorts- our youngest asks all the time if we're going back. :o)
If you need any tips or have any questions, I'm more than happy to help out.
-JennStar

Anonymous said...

I usually only read your blog & don't comment -- I am unable to have children of my own & wish to adopt, but my present lifestyle seems to prevent it.
I'm writing though to let you know that tonight while driving home, I listened to Elton John's song "You'll Be Blessed" & I thought of you & Anna...
Jean

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

That is absolutely amazing!! I have been waiting until Aidan turns five, but this story has me thinking. . .

Stephanie said...

How exciting! My advice from a mom who does Disney with kids quite frequently is to make reservations to eat in advance. Otherwise you will not be able to sit down in an air conditioned restaurant when everyone is hot and hungry. Have fun!
Stephanie

Ms. Elaine said...

How much fun....can't wait to see all the pictures! Hope she gets to get her picture taken with Mickey!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture from the Baby Home! That is going to be so much fun for her! What a great way to celebrate your life together -

Victoria

Gina and Mike said...

Great story! So sweet... I think the last time I commented here, it was about your post regarding the best time to do Disney with Anna. I suggested the FIRST CHANCE you have the opportunity to do it, then jump on it! I live an hour from Disney so we are fortunate to go very often and after all of our visits, it is still such a special place for our family. Sounds like it was meant to be with those great prices and I hope it is an amazing trip for your family.
Gina

Rob said...

$9 flights? I'm going to go be sick now. Living out here in the armpit of Texas, it's a minimum of $500 (round trip) for us to fly ANYWHERE. Color me fluorescent green with envy!

Can't wait to see the photos from this adventure!

Anne said...

This is a great story! I don't remember how I found your blog, but I really enjoyed reading it. I adopted my son Evan from Vladivostok in 2007! We took him to Disney last April when he was 4 and he still talks about it! We downloaded pictures every day when there and he put them in a photo album. He brought it to his first day of kindergarten!
Anne from Chicago

Anonymous said...

wow...$9. that is unheard of. have a good time!