Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Birthday party ideas and thoughts about pre-school

Today is a good day. I sitting with my Mom at Sloan-Kettering while she gets her vaccine for lung cancer. The research doctor told us today about 60 percent of the people in the study are showing an immune response. We do not know if she is one of those people and will not know until the end of the study in 2 1/2 years. For today we are thinking she is apart of that 60 percent.

Anna's baptism party is pretty much planned. I am hoping to finish the favors later today. Once I do finish them I will take a couple pictures. Now I have started to think about her birthday party. When I think about her birthday being right around the corner I am amazed.

Anna is very into animals. Most of the toys she plays with are little animals. Horses and lions are her favorites, since petting a lion can be dangerous I was thinking about a pony party. For the past couple of weeks we have taken a daily bike ride to see the horses up the street.

Gerard's only request is that there are little children at the party. The funny part is that is the hard part. Aside from Hans, Anna really does not have a bunch of children around to play with on a regular basis.

Which brings me back to the pre-school debate. I am going to send Anna to pre-school. I am lucky because my school district offers free all day pre-school. I know that this sounds great but I (and I stress I) struggle with the idea of being separated from Anna. My school district has assured me that if I feel Anna is not doing well being apart from me I can delay her for another year.

I will say I have not ruled out home schooling. I just have not had much time to investigate different programs. My reservation is the socialization factor. So I guess on my to "do list" is to finish getting her application filled out. Oh and I guess I have to find a dress for her first day.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! All day preschool. And here I am virtually in tears when I think Colby will go to preschool next Monday. It will be our first time away, except for occasional Grandma and Grandpa trips. Colby is definitely ready, me, not so much. I'll let you know next Tuesday. But I think it will be a great thing for both Colby and Anna, just for the socialization alone. He loves kids and seems to miss having them around all the time. Being a teacher, I'm not so much into the homeschooling thing but it works for some. Definitely not me, I don't seem to have the same patience when doing school type stuff with Colby as I do with other kids. Go figure!
Melissa

Melissa said...

Oh, and as for her party. YOu know lots of parents with little kids. Some aren't too far away. Make it on a weekend and perhaps some can come!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Aidan has been in all day preschool for a year and LOVES it!! I am constantly amazed at what he has learned and will be learning in the coming year in Pre-K. These little minds are little sponges at this age. She knows who her Mama is. . .: ) I do know how hard it is, though. Sometimes it still is for me!

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

Anna plays with heather's 2 kids, addison/aubrey, Solan, Josh, Andrew/heidi, she loved baby Maeson, and jimmy's neice!

Anonymous said...

Because of certain health issues with my daughter I am going to be doing preschool at home. I ordered a Christian based curriculum from Sonlight. The website is http://www.sonlight.com/ and it looks like it will be a great curriculum.


Sabrina

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

We're homeschooling, too. Yu may remember that Nicholas went to preschool for a while and we actually had concerns about the socialization there (for him). We're going to keep him home for a few years, I imagine. I'm learning lots about HS right now and will post about our process soon - if you're interested :)

I think you'll know exactly what Anna needs and have no doubt you'll do what's best for her. You're a good Mama, Joy.

cm

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Lexi started Pre-school 2 weeks ago. She loves all the fun things they do during the day like finger painting, sticker art, dress-up time, science center, etc. These are things that I would LOVE to be doing with her, but honestly just can't get too while working. She cried a little bit the first few mornings, but within five minutes was happily playing. She's not ready to leave at the end of the day either. But I lost it and boohooed like a baby for the first week. It helps that now she asks to go to school and play with her friends.

As for homeschooling, there are so many wonderful ways for HS children to receive socialization. Find a HS club or co-op in your area and talk to some of the moms. We had to pick and choose which activities, field trips and play groups we could fit in and still actually get our school work done. It was so much fun and we are still close with many of the familes we met through homeschooling!