Monday, August 2, 2010

The first time at the Movies!!



First let me tell you that Gerard and I went on our second date to the movies. The first was for ice cream, even though I really do not like ice cream. We saw Sleeping with the Enemy He did not want to go see a romantic movie so I told him it was spy movie. About half way through the movie he asked me when was the spy part coming. To this day when that movie is on TV we laugh about how I tricked him.

We have been trying to spend every Sunday together as a family. This Sunday morning I had wanted to go to the beach which Gerard hates to do then the rain came so that was out. "What about the movies" he said? Anna is in LOVE with Buzz from Toy Story When ever we talk about Buzz. She says "Buzz" then does an air kiss his way. Anything that has Buzz on the package I have a better chance of getting her to eat.

In the short 5 minute ride to the movies Anna fell asleep so I worried maybe this is not a good idea. We decided that if she acts up we would just leave. I am one of those people who have a lot of patience and empathy for that Mother who has 1 or 2 children who act up when they are out even before Anna came home. Now that Anna is here I am sure I could have even more. She makes me sweat. I also believe that when you are out especially your child is acting up you should try your best to not impact others and remove yourself. I feel even more strongly about this when others have paid a good bit of money for an experience. I am lucky I usually do not have to save long to do something special but others may have had to save for weeks to do the same thing.

Okay off my soap box and back to the movies. We got our drinks, popcorn and shuffled into our seats, three by the wall (my favorite seats). About 2 minutes later the movie started. Anna sat between us with her eyes glued to the movie. Not a sound from her mouth. To say she was mesmerized is an under statement. At first she was like my people are up there on the screen then out came Buzz. I thought the movie was great. A couple parts of the movie were a bit darker then I like for a children's movie and I was thinking this is very 9-11 ish for me. The ending was a good ending for this series and quite sweet.

La-La and I laugh because we joke that this movie will breed a new generation of hoarders. I not convinced that I am not right about that after seeing the whole movie. We went to an early show and were home by 7 pm but I do think she was wand up because of the movie so going to sleep was harder then usual. Anna even with her limited vocabulary was able to communicate to me about Buzz, her baby, the monkey and many of the other characters. She ended up falling asleep in my arms in the rocking chair after 11:30 pm.

8 comments:

JennStar said...

Holy cow, I thought the SAME things (about the 9-11 feeling). I knew I couldn't be the only one!
Glad the movie went well. We're HUGE fans of Woody & Buzz over here, too (including M & I , too!!)

Melissa said...

Great job! We haven't brought Colby to a movie yet but this sounds encouraging. We did bring him to a play that my 14 year old nephew was in and COlby thought that was amazing. So, maybe it's time to try a movie!
Melissa

Laura said...

What a beautiful mama and daughter pic! Pretty in Pink!

We were just talking about taking Kristina to her first movie -- we're thinking Dogs & Cats since Kristina is a cat fanatic now. She has watched Aristocats 3 times this weekend, meows constantly, and loves to snuggle. That, added to her fierce independent nature, makes me think that perhaps she was a cat in a previous life!

Love the updates -- keep 'em coming!

~Laura :)

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Aidan LOVED that movie! I think you're right, too, that it was a bit older than the prior two and perhaps not the best choice for our little ones, but it was still good and it doesn't seem to have had any lasting bad effects on Aidan! Can't wait to take him to the next one.

Loved the matching pink shirts!!

Anonymous said...

so glad it was a good experience! she is so cute!

Heidi said...

Joy, that is the nicest picture of you and your sweet daughter. I remember the first movie I took my daughter to, it was Bambi! Now, she is a real movie buff. Enjoy all the firsts with Anna.
Heidi

Janine said...

Love this photo of you two!

What a great second date story. I'm always thinking of ways to trick my hubby too in seeing a movie I want to see.

Sounds like you had a wonderful family outing to the movies. Been wanting to try this too with my family.

Heather Brandt said...

Such a sweet photo! I'm just getting caught up on blogs. We've been busy with paperwork for adoption #2.

God bless,

Heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com