Monday, August 9, 2010

Mission work...what do you think?

For the past couple of weeks I have been thinking about a mission trip to Haiti. I know it sounds a little bit crazy to some and like the timing is all wrong. Here is my question if that is the case then why does this keep coming into my thoughts? Why when I think about going on this mission trip or another type of mission trip perhaps to a different country a feeling of relief comes over me if it is not right?

One of the doctors who I work with just came back a couple of weeks ago from Haiti. The mission trip was organized by the Missionaries of the Poor I had been thinking about this before she left but I had been thinking about trying to find one in Russia or another Eastern European country. Believe it or not this came into my mind when I started to look at nursing jobs abroad. Yes the cat is out of the bag this it what I have been thinking about or maybe becoming a traveling nurse in different parts of the country.

I know Anna is my main concern but perhaps this IS all possible. Yes Gerard thinks I am crazy and has flat out said no! He has said no to other things that turned out to be the best decisions we have made in the past to so I think I may be able to get him on board still. He himself passed up a job a number of years ago that would have taken him to Russia. Sounds funny to remember those times. He would have had to live there for 6 months.

Back to the mission trip, I think Anna would be okay for a week or so if I were to decide to do this. For me right now financing the trip is my main concern. I know that I will more likely then not go on one in the near future because the thought of going and helping seems to be on my mind every morning.

This morning I read an article about a team in Afghanistan who were killed. After reading this I am leaning more toward going even though you would think a sane person would have put mission work completely out of her mind. When you have the ability to help others that is a gift and one that should not be thrown away or under used. Life is not about things or how much you have. Even as I say this I look around my house and almost feel guilty for the shear quantity of stuff I have when others have so little.

I think I have changed and I am not sure when I did or what single event if there was one that has changed me. Perhaps I am just growing up both as an adult and a child of Christ. Maybe I am just realizing that living a comfortable life and not helping another is an empty life.

A fellow blogger friend Stephanie will be taking a trip to Africa and is asking for donations. She is in the process of adopting from Ethiopia and may visit an orphanage where her daughter will be from prior to her referral for the mission work, how amazing is that!

So these are the things that go through my mind when I am quiet. I would love to hear feedback about different mission trips others have been on and what organizations they went with and why.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is awesome!! Love your blog!!

JennStar said...

Well, IMO, one of the coolest things about God is that He doesn't always make sense. LOL! He has burdened your heart for this cause. Continue to research and seek Him and He will not only show you where and when, but how. I spent a month in South Africa when I was 20- went with Teen Mania Ministries because I worked with youth at the time and these trips are especially for them- I was in a position leadership while I was there. It was one of the very best times in my entire life and I long for the day when we can work in missions together as a family. I will be praying for you and the decisions you have ahead of you!

Melissa said...

No, not a crazy idea. And definitely one I have had many times since adopting Colby. Members of our church just returned from a mission trip to Mexico. They have gone a couple times to an orphanage there. I think it is amazing and something I would love to do. Although the money issue is huge. I've even remarked to Mike that I would love it if I could make it my fulltime job to help orphanages around the world. But sadly, no money in that line of work. Keep me posted on your ideas. They are great.
Melissa

Stephanie said...

Go for it! Spending 5 weeks in Russia was amazing but my trips to Haiti this winter were life changing. The poverty in third world countries changes your perspective on everything. You will never be the same! I really believe that when our children see that we care for people around the world and step out of our comfort zone to help, we raise them to also be mission minded. Good luck!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Man proposes, God disposes. . .I think our collective First Mission Trip was to go abroad (Russia, in our cases) to adopt. Huge. I think going to Haiti is right up there in your alley and within your purview of experience. You go Girl!! God will lead you where He wants you to be. . .and Anna and Gerard are obviously a part of that path already.
God Bless!!!

Jersey Beth said...

wow. that's pretty amazing. Check out this blog:
http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/

And maybe this one, too:
http://www.talkissheep.blogspot.com/
Good luck,
Beth

dnd82001 said...

Hi I'm new to your blog and thought I'd mention Two Hearts for Hope - they just announced the next mission trip to Kaz.

Darlene

Allie said...

I encourage you to look into WARinternational (http://www.warinternational.org)

They work with helping women who 8are at risk (slave/sex trafficking).

This orginization often looks for people in the medical field (as well as other fields) to help train women in other countries so they have sustainable jobs (the whole point of WAR is to help get these women out of trafficking industry by helping them develop skills so they can survive on their own).

They don't work in Haiti but do work in the Dominican Republic (the other side of the island from Haiti that is still impoverished, but much safer).

I encourage you to look into any opportunities they may have for you.

From a safety standpoint.. please do not go to Haiti unless you 100% know you will have proper security and are with a group that has been going to haiti for YEARS not just post earthquake. Haiti is one of the most dangerous places on earth and there is a REAL risk of not making it home alive if you don't go with people who know what they are doing.

Janet said...

Dear Joy, I would so go on a short term mission! I think you do have a gift and the fact that you want to use it is wonderful! I will be praying and will be excited to hear where The Lord is sending you! Love, Janet