Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Why me?

Well today marks 1 year from the time I knew that Anna was my referral.
The day did not start off well a year ago. A few hours later I went from the lowest of low to the highest of high. What a difference! In all that time that I waited I had some questions as to why I had to wait. I had seen so many others not only get their referrals but travel and then come home and some even started on their second adoption. Why me? Why did I have to wait?

I did my best not to let it consume my thoughts and know that I was in the best hands, God's hands. I tried my best to understand the delays and set backs. For the most part I think I did pretty good. Now I also know that some do not think that I did but to them I say I wonder how you would have been...hmmm!

So back to the "Why me?" question. I was selected for Anna after many others had said "No thank you", hard to believe at least for me. I wonder if those who passed on Anna even met her? My guess is no they did not. I think they may have just looked at her pictures and medicals and said "No thank you" I guess I took a chance. No I did not have her medical information formally reviewed by any doctor, from what I saw on it I knew that it was of very little concern at least to me. I wonder some times if any of those who passed on Anna follow my blog and were surprised when they saw her referral picture.

Now that Anna has been with me for almost 5 months I can say without a doubt that yes God does know what he is doing! I had to wait because he needed me to be ready for her and she for me. She is spunky, smart, busy and most of all loving towards Gerard and I as well as all animals and dolls. If you are waiting or considering adoption my best advice is to pray about it. Growing a family through adoption has been the best experience for me and quite honestly I would not consider getting pregnant but that is me.

Is it easy to learn to love a child who is not biologically your own? Well my answer to that is yes and no. Confused? Are you open to receive and give love? If you are then it will be easier for you to love a child or children who are not biologically your own. That is a question that only you can answer.

Is it easy to be a single parent? or a parent even if you are married or a couple? I will say the answer to that is no. I think being a parent is challenging whether or not you are in a relationship but I would not let that stop me if being a parent is what I wanted to be and did not. At the start of this journery Gerard was not very sure if he could really be a part of this journey. He is not the type who just jumps into someting without thinking. During my journey at times I thought it would have been far easier to not adopt and just coast along like I had done for many years as a woman without a child but at the end of the day I was not happy and felt as though something was missing.

I think you never realize just how unhappy you are until you are no longer unhappy. That was true for me. I have way less money then I have ever had in my life. I shop way less then I ever thought was possible. I am way more tired most of the time because yes I am getting way less sleep then I have ever gotten. My house is way less organized, I can not longer talk someone through where something is located over the phone the way I used to be able to do. But I am way happier then I think I have ever been.


I needed the delays that I encountered. God needed to know that I believed in what I was doing, I needed to to learn to have patience.

13 comments:

Shelly and Steve said...

I hope I can look back 6 months from now and see the perfect timing in all this. I know our referral came at exactly the right time (I see now things weren't ready previously on our end and our little miss wasn't available), but the rest of this journey is wearing on me and I'm losing my faith. I am seeing so many families coming home with their, getting court dates....and I find myself saying WHY ME?? You give me hope.

Wendi and Terry said...

Love your post! It came at a great time, we leave on trip#1 tomorrow. So great to see and hear how well Anna and mommy are adjusting.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

A year??? My goodness!! God totally intended Anna for you. . .her smile when she is with you is absolutely precious. . .God Bless (pretty good for one handed typing, huh? : ) )

Melissa said...

It is amazing what can happen in a year. I remember your post last year. I was so excited for you. You received your amazing news and then, on the 14th I received mine! Our court date! Wow! Has it really been that long? The wait for both of us was terrible but we came out of it two very fortunate people. And we have amazing kids!
Melissa

Beth said...

WOW being a single mother of almost 2 boys I could agree with you more. ANd yes what a difference a year can make. I love to hear that Anna is doing so well.

Beth

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I totally get what you are saying. We may not understand why at the time, but later when we can look back, it all makes sense. What you said about not knowing how unhappy you really are until you are truly happy. I feel that same way now. I think back on the past couple of years of ups and downs and think, "Wow, I didn't realize how unhappy I was even when I thought I was really happy." Now, I am really happy again.

I am so glad you have found happiness too! So glad Anna is your daughter and you are her mother!!! You two are just precious together!

And what you said about single mothers, I think that every day... I don't know how they do it!! Incredible.

sunset pines farm said...

Well said, and I think it applies to both adopted and "birthed" families.
I know she is too young for you to even worry about this, but hop over to my blog and get a chuckle out of the "application to date my daughter" that a friend sent me yesterday.

Jane and Jim said...

AWESOME post! I could not have said it better myself!
Yes, you're right - parenting is H.A.R.D. I never realized how hard it was until now. Again, same with us, we don't have as much $ for us because it's all for them now. But we're happier!
I'm SO happy those people passed your baby up! Same with ours - a Russian couple actually returned them to the baby home after she had them a week. GREAT for us!

Amy said...

Thanks for this post! I've been going through the "why me" thoughts the last few weeks and you reminded me there is a reason for it and it will happen in God's perfect timing. Thanks!

Troy and Rachel said...

What a great post Joy!! I am thankful so many looked at Daniel's medical and said NO WAY! I am so thankful that we said YES!

And we are very happy too! SO glad you are in such a wonderful place now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,
You can just see Anna was meant to be with you! I can't imagine anyone saying "no" to her, but it was all for a reason!
Also, as you know we have had several set-backs and have been waiting what seems like forever, so thanks for posting this - It also gives me hope.
Have a great weekend,
Teresa

Melissa said...

Has it really been that long? Have we really been following eachother's journey for more than a year? We have become very close, but yet have not met....when can we get together???
Melissa

Laura said...

Wonderful post, Joy. And I'm with you -- everything happens for a reason and in His time. Our little K was passed up by numerous families, too -- primarilly because they didn't want to go to Ekat. But God knew who was meant to be her mama and papa which is the same case for Anna and you guys.

You're very inspirational, Joy. Now go get some rest and cuddle that little angel of yours!

~Laura :)