Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The nights the lights went out...Haiti

The other night I was home with Anna and my Mother stopped by to see her. I could hear them playing in her room, I was busy picking up. All of a sudden the lights went out. I looked out the window and it was pitch black out. The only light that I saw was from a few stars in the sky and the moon. Usually the lights come on pretty quickly, I knew were Anna was and that she was safe. My house was completely silent then Anna let out with a cry.

My Mother quickly scooped her up to reassure her that everything was okay until I got there to hold her. I found a couple of candles, now we had some faint flicker of light. At first I thought the lights will be on any second now as I sat in the dark second turned into minutes.

The craziest things run through your mind in the dark. I put an extra sweater on Anna along with socks. I sat there and held her as was better and started to play again. My thoughts wandered to the people of Haiti. First to the children who were were scared sitting in the dark, or perhaps looking for their Mothers. Then to the Mothers and Fathers who were desperately looking for their babies hoping and praying that they would soon be able to hold them and quiet their tears.

Then my mind wandered back to Anna. Did she cry or miss her birth Mother when she was in the orphanage. Did she cry and miss me after I left her not once but three times in the orphanage.

I know their are so many children who will be sitting alone in the dark tonight, scared some hungry for food but many more hungry for the love and affection of a Mother and Father. I do not have the answers to the world's problems but I thank God everyday for my good fortune. If you have a child hug them, if you want a child consider adopting one. As hard as the paperwork can be and the financial hurdles that you must jump the rewards so far out weigh all of that drama.

This link was posted on a blog that I read that is private. I am not sure if anyone has thought to help but this could be one way. Pennies turn into nickels then dimes and so on. Together we can make a difference! Haiti-Aid.org

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I think so much about the mothers looking for their babies. I also wonder how Sophie and Sam felt when I left them or how scared they must have been to leave the only home they had ever known. Heartbreaking! Keep hugging that sweet Anna and I will keep hugging my two. Good fortune indeed.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Too many babes alone in the dark. Breaks my heart, too.

Thanks for posting the haiti-aid link here, Joy.

cm

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You are soooo right!! The money and paper work is very minor compared to the reward!! Prayers for all children and parents out there. . .

Anonymous said...

great post!

Jane and Jim said...

Great post - yes, I've thought of those little children too.. It's disturbing and at the same time, I too, feel grateful for my 2 precious little ones.