Monday, November 24, 2008

I'm in Quite a Pickle!

So now that my car has been officially totalled I am in a bit of a pickle. I loved the car that I had. I had purchased a Ford Escape used that had everything for not that much money a couple of years ago. I had it almost paid off. I dreamt of having no payment and a secure car to drive my new little one around in but that was my plan not God's plan.

So I did rent a car but now it is time to return it because we are settling the claim this week. So I am car payment free (yeah) but also car free (boo). This accident hit me (no pun intended) out of the blue. I loved my car and really was not thinking about what kind to buy next. Did I mention that I really do not like to buy cars!!

My sister offered to let me drive her extra car. Thank goodness for extra cars until I find one that I really like. I spent the weekend test driving a couple of different cars and I am still so undecided. Not to mention the poor car salesmen are so eager for me to buy anything because I know I will actually qualify for a loan if needed.

Here are my requirements:

*Must seat at least 5 comfortably
*Handle well because I drive pretty far to work (about 30 miles one way) on a highway that EVERYONE speeds on
*Must get at least 20 miles to the gallon of gas
*Must have leather (because I am now spoiled)
*Must have a moon roof (again because I am spoiled)
*Must have All wheel drive or 4x4 (because I hate to be stuck at the hospital in snow storms)

Did I mention that I am frugal so I would like all of this for the least amount of money possible. Tell me what you drive and why you love or hate it. Or tell me what your dream car is! I am very perplexed.

**I have to say I am considering the Mazda 5 after having rented it for the past week or so. I never would have just picked this one out on my own because it does look like a little mini-van even though it is a crossover. My niece laughed and said a crossover to Motherhood!

18 comments:

MtnGirl said...

I have an Escape and I'd get another one of those - find another good used deal. Good luck!

Our Family said...

I love my subaru outback. Though it would fit 5 snugly, it handles well and is fun to drive!
Good luck!
Adrian

Nicole Brueck said...

Loved my RAV4 (Toyota) before I bought my minivan.
Good luck in deciding.

Nancy said...

I've really enjoyed my Honda CR-V. One of my favorite things about it is the backup camera. :)

Melissa said...

I love my Escape also. Why not get another one? My aunt has an old Honda CRV which she loves. Both are pretty good on gas and have lots of room. I think the Escape is a little bigger though.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

i drive a volvo xc90. it gets 19.8 mpg/the car computer. drives well. a bit pricier but since it is a volvo it will last forever. mine seats 7 and has a high safety rating. unfortunately, i think i am evenutally going to have to go bigger once we have all 4 kids. the far back seat can seat 2 kids ok. it is pretty cramped for adults. i can fit back there and i am 5'7". but, i wouldn't want to travel for more than about 30 minutes there. good luck shopping. i hate to shop for cars. they are so overpriced!

Carey and Norman said...

I drive a Ford Expedition and love it. Now it isn't great on gas, but I love all the extra room. I bought it after driving a Ford Explorer at work for several years. I still like the Explorer and would recommend it to those who want a smaller SUV. I just like the size of the Expedition to tote 2 kids and 2 dogs around. Third row seating comes in handy too. All of these are available on the Explorer too. And, I went from a Volkswagon Cabrio to an Expedition (so anyone can go from small to large). What about another Escape? I've never driven one, but it sounds like you enjoyed yours!

My mom drives a Honda CRV. I'm not such a fan of this car. Of course, she bought the basic model, so that may be part of my dislike. I think it drives well and gets good gas mileage, but it wouldn't be my choice.

What about the Nissan Murano or another car like this? Maybe this is what the Mazda 5 looks like.

I'm with you that I hate to shop for cars. This is another reason why I like to buy my first choice is that I'll drive it for 10+ years if I like it. Otherwise, I'm ready to trade within a year.

Rich and Jolynn said...

Our Dad's both worked for Big 3 (used to be called that). So we drive Ford, GM or Chrysler. We just bought a Ford Focus SE and get an average of 37 MPG and Rich loves the Sync program and it is so cute. I was worried at first, he is so tall 6'5" and thought a lil car would be cramped but it is not at all. I sold Saturn's for awhile and feel in love with the Outlook - huge comfy car just love it gets 20 mpg. Probably the most comfortable car I've ever had, can't wait to put baby stuff in it, hehe. Buying cars is tricky I learned that the trade in is to game the public - didn't like that. Love the GM stuff right now mainly because of all the incentives. I think it is a great time to be a buyer, have fun.

Mary said...

Toyota RAV4 is great. Hide away small 3rd row, great for kids and small adults so can seat 7. I have 2 car seats in the 2nd row/backseat so that 3rd row has come in handy a couple times when visiting family and transporting my daughter's friend in a small booster. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
We have a Ford Escape, too! We love it! I 3rd the motion to get another one - used. We bought ours used about 4 or 5 years ago.
Well, Good luck with your decision! I think it will be fun looking for cars and I am sure in this market, you will get a great deal!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I just heard on the news that the GMC acadia gets 24 miles to the gallon and got great safety ratings. I believe it seats 7. It is really cute too and you can get any bells and whistles you like.

I think the Saturn outlook is the exact same car and a little less pricey than the acadia...of course I am sure all the car dealers are willing to make deals right now. It is a good time to buy.

kristen said...

i love my volvo (wagon and also the sc90 suv) and if you get a turbo edition engine, it will say 2.5T or something it will get around 35 mpg (ours does atleast). And it is very very safe. if you buy a used one from a dealership w/ a warranty that is the best way to go in my opinion. i also detest subarus. have had nothing but trouble from them.

lh said...

I concur with Kristine and John. I test drove the GMC Acadia and LOVED it. It's got it all but I needed 3 car seats in the middle row so I ended up with a Sequoia (which I'm also happy with). If all you need is 5 go for the Acadia or the Saturn Outlook (same car). Could be a great time to buy!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

We have a Chrysler Pacifica, and it drives great-great safety ratings too. We're also about to get a new Mazda CX7 (new company car), and it seems to drive very well, too. We also have a Honda CR-V, and it has been a great car! Good luck finding a new one! Let us know what happens! :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

We love our Mazda as well, but my sister recently bought a Scion. Those things are cool, way loaded, and CHEAP. Just a thought...

Mandy said...

I've had a honda civic for 6 years and I adore it. Take one for a ride and see what you think. Hondas are great cars in my opinion. :)

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

I liked the mazda 5 and the nissan murano the day we were test driving cars! Another ford escape would also be a good choice! Have fun picking out a new vechile!

Penny said...

I had a Rav 4 when my mini van went in the shop and I liked it so much we almost decided to buy one. We didn't yet because we are pmt free and ours is running okay. BUT when the time comes I think that will be my next car!