Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Feel Very Lucky That I Can Vote!

I am old enough to remember watching the election with my Father when Ronald Regan was running for his first term as the United States President. I was in aw watching the pomp and circumstance that I saw with the rallies for both the Democrats and the Republicans. Being the typical Dad's girl that I was then I stood right next to my Father and asked him questions about why this one was better then that one.

My Father had a ton of patience and was not usually a rash speaker. He had a significant stuttering problem that as a child at times made me feel both embarrassed and sorry for him. As an adult I understand now what a gift his stuttering was because he told me that he would think long and hard about what he would say. He was wise because many just speak without thinking.

I am a first generation American in terms of my Father's family because he was born in Denmark. As a child you do not really understand how important it is that we live in a country that is free. We are free to vote and be an active part of how our country is run. My Father taught me that to ability to vote was one that I should not ignore. In his whole adult life he told me that he never had the privilege to vote because he was not a citizen of the United States.

These memories came flooding back to me this morning as I casted my ballot for hopefully the next President of the United States of America.

3 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I actually went to Ronald Reagan's first swearing in. . .and then was old enough to vote for him on his second time around! It is such an incredible priviledge to be an American. . .I hope I can always take Aidan with me to vote and that I will always have the time to explain the entire process!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy, I love what your father said about stuttering. I think it is definitely a blessing to learn from early on to think a little longer before saying anything. I just got back from voting and I am so excited to see the outcome. In this election, I really liked both candidates as people, but one a little better than the other to be our president.
Happy election day! Teresa

Dede said...

Ok, I'm feeling old now because Reagan's first term was the first election I was old enough to vote in. :-0

I agree that it is better to think a little longer before saying anything.