Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Have You Ever Thought WOW Is That An Old Story

I started collecting children's books many years ago. I have a few favorites one being Richard Scary's Word Book and in my opinion a must for all children. I had a small rabbit puppet when I was a child that I would sleep with every night. This rabbit was the main character from the story the Velveteen Rabbit and I loved that story.

Last night I offered to watch the grandchildren of my next door neighbor. Her husband is a young man (56) in my opinion who is dying of cancer. Yesterday he was rushed to the hospital for seizures. I felt bad because I could see that his 2 daughters wanted to be by his side. So I watched the kids. Please send up a prayer for this family.

So that brings me up to watching 3 children that I have never met ages 5, 7 and 10. Luckily for me I do have quite a range of toys for children at my house. I broke out the play station for the 10 year old and the water color paints for the other 2 children. We painted a bunch of pictures and made chocolate chip cookies the kind that you scoop out of a big bucket.

My friend Nancy stopped by with her nieces because they just LOVE Dottie. We talked a bit and I took a couple of pictures of Nancy's nieces with Dottie. I am a bit funny about taking pictures of other people's children without the parents permission but Nancy assured me it was okay (Plus I know her sister from High school).

Wow this story is very much off topic but I promise it will be wrapped up in the end. After Nancy left I started to read stories to the 2 smaller ones. The stories that I read were Peter Rabbit and the Velveteen Rabbit. So I am reading these stories and fielding question about the old fashion wording that is used in both of these stories. That got me thinking wow do I need to up date some of the children's books that I have around the house.

Having these little guys around the house made me start to think about how difficult it will be for my baby to learn that it is okay to live with me. Every thing will change for my baby all at once. I think this feeling must be similar to starting a new job and the uncomfortable feelings that go along with the new job like not knowing where to put your stuff or when lunch time is. The only difference is that most of the time a the new job experience only last for 8 hours a day plus the whole being an adult thing.

The funny thing is when the father of these children came to pick them up the youngest little girl told him that I would not take their picture unless I had permission from him first. He laughed and said "Yes". I then explained and he told me that he understood and appreciated me being so considerate. So the 5 year old wrangled the other two for a "Family Portrait" (That is what she called it). I printed it up and she told me that she was going to give to her Poppy. All in all the night was sweet and sad all at the same time.

2 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

How sweet! I'm sure you made, what was probably a stressful time for the parents, a much easier time and enjoyable for you and the kids, too! Books are always a great thing for kids of all ages and those you mentioned are all on my shelves too! You'll be fine with the baby when he or she comes to be with you as a family.

Kevin T. said...

Hi Joy,
That is so nice of you to watch those grandkids and it sounds like you really made it fun for them! That is so sad about your neighbor - I think that is so young. I hope you have a great rest of the week off! Teresa