Friday, December 7, 2012

The week has flown by

Yesterday I opened my eyes and thought "Where did the week go?" I have been off for the past 8 days and I did not get nearly half of what I wanted to get done completed. I am sure that I packed on way more than I should have for the week. What I did get done is amazing in my eyes anyway. The tree is up! Seriously, I am going back to putting the tree up after Thanksgiving. I love having the house decorated. It take so long to get everything up that I feel like I do not get a chance to really enjoy it.

Anna declared that she was "In Charge of the Tree" this year so I let her be. I ton of years ago way before Anna a little girl lived next door. I knew her parents well just from chatting and seeing them outside. We were talking about putting up our trees one year and the little girl overheard me. She had been playing with her friend who also lived in the neighborhood. They were about 10 I think. So I offered to let them put on all the decorations. Their parents agreed to let them come over and help. For me it was wonderful they helped me drag down the boxes from the third floor which in itself was a big help. I made hot chocolate and cookies. I told them to decorate it any way they liked as long as the angels were at the top of the tree.

Now let me tell you I have WAY TOO MANY ornaments! I think I have 3 or 4 totes full still up stairs that I have not opened in a couple of years. Last year I gave a number away to my nephews. I know that sounds silly but Gerard was unknowingly collecting Hallmark ornaments...Okay I was buying them for him that is the truth. So we had about 30 football and baseball ornaments. My sister also had one of each of these football ornaments so you know the fights that can happen when you have two boys who love football. I settled that for her, now they each have a set.

So back to the little girls, they laughed and giggled. I loved watching them place the ornaments on the tree so carefully. I wondered what they were thinking. Just then they told me "My mother never lets us touch these kinds of ornaments. I often think about that day with those girls. We live in a small town and I ran into the not so little girl who now has a house of her own. She remembered that day too which I guess surprised me. It made me smile. I did not realize it then but the most precious thing about this time of years is how it makes you feel. It is so not about the gifts but the feeling kindness and peace that is so important.

1 comment:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I LOVE these types of traditions. I LOVE comparing the pictues, too. Anna sure is growing up and becoming more beautiful by the day! Merry Christmas to you all.