Saturday, December 8, 2012

On my soapbox

My class is done! I am elated to say that I recieved an A. I am now off from school until January 7th. I sat down last night to finish my last essay for the class that I was taking. I turned on the computer, connected to the internet and saw a head line that caught my eye. I will be honest I do not watch the news. My T.V. time is down to about 2 hours a week if that. I stopped reading trash magazines after Princess Diana was killed. I refuse to even pick them up while waiting at the store. I feel very strongly about this so I was surprised when I clicked the link about the nurse who killed herself over a prank in England.

I am sure so many know way more about the prank then I do but apparently a few radio hosts tricked the nurse into giving out information about Princess Kate and her pregnancy. Because of this prank the nurse decided to take her own life. I guess I am so sad for her and her family because someone thought it would be funny to invade the Princess' personal life at a very emotional time with no regard to how others could be affected. I know that the nurse was wrong to give out any information but what a horrible joke to play on an innocent nurse who was probably nervous as heck to be caring for Princess Kate.

2 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Joy,
I am so with you on that. I am so saddened that the nurse felt that her only outlet was to take her life and even more saddened by the terrible prank a few people did just to be funny. It's not funny to pull pranks on people. I pray for her soul and her family during this terrible time.

Nurses do so much for us. I, for one, have had the pleasure of being in the hospital and having some really great nurses. If not for them, so really bad times for me wuld have been much worse. God bless you all.

bethr10181 said...

Hi Joy,
I've been following your blog for awhile now, and I am stepping out of "lurker" status.

Although I am not a nurse, having been caretaker to a chronically (and eventually terminally)ill Mother in law, as well as having had preemie twins who had several issues, our family has had so much experience medically, it's somewhat frightening.

Nurses in these cases were always the strongest, most caring, most amazing people our family could have ever hoped for. Knowing the care they give, I honestly don't know how they do it day to day..... when one of my girls was touch and go in the PICU due to RSV, I will never forget 2 or 3 nurses that would check in on their days off... something they didn't have to do.
I'll never forget the nurse that sat and prayed and cried with me when my babies were transferred to a hospital 50 miles away, immediately after birth, because I was told by the Dr that she didn't want to bother to try to get me transferred with them, and the only way I would see them would be to sign myself out AMA, after an emergency C-section with complications.

I suppose what I'm saying is that in my opinion, nurses have one of (if not THE) the most challenging professions in the world, and what this poor woman was put through is deplorable..... I cannot imagine what this poor woman was put through, and I can only hope that her family may at some point find peace, and that she may rest peacefully, as anyone who has been blessed by the presence of an amazing nurse knows that she was only doing the job that she most likely sacrificed many things in her own life for.