Thursday, September 6, 2012

Back to school

Well Anna and I have now officially both started back to school. My first day was way less exciting for our family than Anna's first day. Seriously, it takes me a whole week to figure out how to organize my school trimester before I feel comfortable. I have now finished my first week so I am good now.

The last weeks of  summer have been crazy. The weather has not been great mostly overcast and rainy but that did not stop us from going to the beach one last time this summer. The water was perfect and the tide was perfect too. We met up with my sisters on the beach so Anna got a little extra time after I had to leave for work. This past week we have spent a bunch of time with family. I have so much to write but I will leave that for another post. My news is quite exciting so stay tuned.

Today I want to write about Anna's first day of school. These are memories that I never want to forget. Yesterday, I was feeling a bit stressed because as I am sure most deal with toward the end of summer my house was a hot mess, I had grocery shopping to do, and was fighting the feeling of getting in every last free minute with Anna before she starts back to school. Yesterday at 2 pm I realized that I was not even close to being ready for Anna to go back to school and a little stressed that I was due to go to work at 6pm.

I am so blessed that my family lives so close by and love being with Anna too. I dropped her off at my Mother's house with instructions about going to bed early at our home. With Anna enjoying one more afternoon with Hans and my sisters I was able to pick up the house, go grocery shopping (the abbreviated version), set out her closes, set up her lunch& back pack than finally get ready for work.

The one good thing about Gerard's shift is that he is able to be home in the morning. Bright and early I got a text that Anna was already awake and waiting for me. I hurried out of work to find Anna fast asleep on the sofa wrapped in my house coat. It was only 8 am so I jumped into bed while Gerard was in the shower (he did not even know that I was home) and fell fast asleep for 30 minutes. My alarm rang I got dressed to find Anna and Gerard giggling on the floor in the living room playing horse. We had breakfast, brushed our hair & teeth, and got dressed. The first year that Anna went to pre-school getting ready was so difficult. I remember the process taking close to 1.5 hours with lot of tears from both of us. This year is seemed so easy and effortless. We were ready in 20 minutes. I guess this is a subtle sign that she is growing up.

We took pictures at the front door (which only the ones from my camera turned out good) like last year than the three of us loaded up into Daddy's truck for the 2 minute drive to school. We pulled in like normal but quickly realized that something had changed. Yup, the pre-school was moved to the new building. We took the opportunity to take a few more quick pictures.

We found the new drop off point and unloaded one more time. Anna was prepared for her day that was until the child in front of her started to cry. I handed Anna off to one of the teacher assistance and as she walked next to the little boy who was freaking out I heard her say ever so quietly "I need my Momma."  It broke our hearts. The first two years that Anna started school I do not remember her saying this. Keeping her home with me this summer was the best choice I have made in a long time. It was much harder and easier than sending her to camp but I think spending this time together was wonderful for Anna.

I came to pick her and was greeted with a huge hug and kiss. As I buckled her into the car seat she told me that she missed me at nap time, she did not miss her friends she only missed me. Does this kid know how to make me feel special or what? We walked outside where she requested a picture for Daddy because he was working. I know he felt bad not being able to pick her up. This is one thing that he has always enjoyed so I am sure the picture helped him feel better.
 

 
For tonight I was given the gift of being put on call which everyone knows I love so I will start getting things together for tomorrow shortly. Hopefully I will be able to get all my homework done tonight so that the weekend is free. I am really trying to keep the weekends free for family so wish me luck.




 
 
How did she grow up so fast?

3 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh Anna!!! How wonderful you are!!! Congratulations on a new milestone, Joy. . .sad and wonderful at the same time. Believe me, I know!

Janet said...

Yes Anna How did you grow up so fast?Love the pictures of her first day of school! This Granny now has a kindergartner! Thursday I sat by a former grade school teacher that remembered my daughter! I love how Anna said she missed you at nap time! Janet

Melissa said...

Amazing how quickly they do grow. She has just blossomed as a part of your family. Good luck in preschool Anna! I know you'll love it and do great!
Melissa