Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year's Eve!

First off an apology is in order from me. I had added a short YouTube video of Anna Christmas morning to the blog, I viewed it once, and thought great the link works. I shut the computer down, and did not think much about it. Well...Then last night while we are at dinner I got a call from my Mother who was quite upset. She demanded that I take down the video immediately! When I asked her why even I was shocked by her explanation. Apparently, other videos (not ones I have made) were attached to Anna's video, and not such nice videos from what my Mother has described. In her words TRASH was attached to Anna's video!

Apparently, some think it is funny when a child says a word that is not very nice. I do not think it is funny nor would I video tape, and then share this with the world. So the video of Anna hugging Bambi is gone for that reason.

On to the New Year, I mentioned that for Christmas I made Everyday Russian pancakes. Not being Russian myself I am trying to keep some of Anna's culture alive through different foods, and perhaps traditions that we can also maintain. I have found this wonderful book A Year of Russian Feasts written by Catherine Cheremeteff Jones. The book has many different Russian recipes but what I like most about it is that holiday traditions are explained through the author's experiences living in Russia.

Last night I read about how New Year's Eve is a very big celebration in Russia. I guess having been to Russia and staying with a host family I am able to perhaps picture how some of these holidays be. Every time I pick up this book I feel the need to return to Russia with Anna.

The other night I emailed my Russian coordinator in Cheboksary. We are friends on Facebook so she is able to see pictures of Anna as she grows. She has told me that her son is now living in Moscow attending University there. I can not imagine how proud of him she must be. I feel proud of him and I never met him, silly I know. As crazy as it may sound I am hoping to travel to Russia with Anna in the next couple of years. Perhaps 2014 because vacation plans for 2013 are pretty much set. I think Anna is too young this year to appreciate the trip. My hope is to meet up with Anna and the host family.

Gerard is not sold on the idea of it being good for Anna but I think he is wrong. I believe Anna has a lot of memories of Russia. Yes, I know that over time they will fade but my hope is that it will only be the unpleasant memories that fade.

I read last night that Russians do not make New Year's resolutions. I have always thought that figuring out a New Year's resolution was a lot of pressure so I will be adopting this tradition too. Instead Russians make toast after toast all night long. I think this is pretty cool actually. I find it amazing that rather then focusing on something that could be negative such as "I will get out of debt this year" They would make a toast like "Here's to having enough money to pay off my debt!" I think it is all in the wording but it just sounds more positive to me.

Here are my New Year's Eve toasts:

May you all have a health, happy, and prosperous New Year!

May all the families who are waiting for a referral or to travel to complete their families have a quick, safe journey.

May all the children who are without a parent find unconditional love in the who is caring for them.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I like that positive outlook too. Think I'll adopt it as well. Here's to a wonderful new year where all our dreams come true, or at least start on the right path to fruition!
Melissa