Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas to you

This year I think I had the best Christmas possible! Gerard is a last minute shopper and I am not. While Anna was at school on Thursday, I realized that for Christmas the only thing purchased for Gerard was a plastic travel cup. How in the world did I forget to buy Gerard a big gift. I chuckled on Christmas morning when I opened the plastic cups Gerard bought for me. The truth is we focused more on spending time as a family this year, and way less focus on buying gifts.

Now believe me Anna had plenty of gifts under the tree for Christmas morning. We decided very early on that we would not buy Anna something every time we go to the store. Friday, Anna and I watched a couple pf Christmas cartoons. As a child my favorite Christmas special was The Little Drummer Boy. I think this will also be one of Anna's favorite too. We listened to the cartoon, and then the song. We turned off the TV, talked, and played with our baby Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

On Friday Anna was so excited on that Santa was coming that she had a very hard time getting to sleep. I looked at Gerard and we both smiled. We decided to go low key this year for the holidays. For the past two years we have hosted a family party on Christmas Eve this year it was just us. We decided to go to the Children's Mass at 4 pm where Anna kept asking "Where is the little drummer boy?" When she heard a baby cry she was convinced that it was baby Jesus.

Anna was asleep by 8:30 pm. I was up until about midnight fixing and arranging. On Christmas morning when Anna's eyes opened she whispered "Momma, Momma I think Santa came last night." I was able to capture her reaction to waking up. I never want to forget the magic in her eyes and the smile on her face.

Christmas morning Gerard's parents stopped by for an hour or so on their way to AM's house. Anna was so excited to show them that Santa came, and left presents. For breakfast I made an easy recipe I found on Pinterest. It was frozen has brown potatoes, mixed with cheese and a drop of olive oil. I baked them for about 20 minutes in a muffin pan then I put a little more cheese, cracked an egg into each muffin and added some bacon back into the oven. They turned out perfect.

I also made some Russian style everyday pancakes. When I was in Russia I had them every morning while I was with the host family. I broke out the cookbook and made them on Christmas Eve so that I could reheat them on Christmas morning. Honestly, these are pretty good. Every time I make them I wonder why I don't make them more often. I have another Russian recipe that I hope to make this week as well.

Watching Anna play with her toys is one of the best feelings I have every felt. Now for the pictures.

A Christmas puppet Anna made

Christmas Eve after Mrs. Claus dropped off the PJs.


Anna heading to school for a day on the Polar Express

Here is the Christmas Craft that we did as a family. Very easy!




Christmas Morning






2 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

What fun you had!!! I love the crafts. . .Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderfully happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Christmas through the eyes of a small child is truly magical! It looks like y'all had a fantastic Christmas.