Friday, December 9, 2011

Back a Moon

I co-sleep with Anna. The other night Gerard was laying down with us and Anna was having a hard time falling asleep. Gerard will usually lay with us until we fall asleep but he swears we are both to noisy to sleep with and quite frankly we are. Not to mention Anna lays across the bed.

Every night before we fall asleep Gerard tells us "Back a moon" which translates to I love you. This is our shorten version of 'I love you to the moon and back." We have been doing this for a while and I like it. The other night Gerard whispered to Anna "Back a moon."

Anna whispered in my ear "Momma, Daddy needs gum." I open my eyes, because yes I was almost a sleep and giggled because Gerard hates chewing gum. Usually his response is "Why would someone want to chew gum. It looks like a lot of work that never ends."

So I whispered to Anna "No gum, lay your head down and go to sleep. Back a moon." To which Anna whispers to Gerard "Daddy, Momma said no gum! Lay your head down, go to sleep. Back a moon." Anna laid her head down and promptly fell asleep.

This morning Gerard and I laughed over this whole conversation. I am not sure if she thought she heard him ask for gum or if she just wanted gum and thought that if Daddy wanted gum it would be fine. No matter what the case this made me laugh.

Yesterday's blood work was the complete opposite from our last experience. I applied a cream to Anna's arms that numbs the area. It has to be applied for one hour prior to the blood draw and covered and is called Emla. If any of you must take your child for blood work on a regular bases this is a must and again something I would insist on from your doctor.

We registered for the blood work but only had to wait a few minutes. I explained what was going to happen and in walks the one person I would have never wanted to talk Anna's blood. Quite frankly I would draw it myself first, just as I was about to say something another woman I know walked in and started to prep Anna. In less then 5 minutes her blood was drawn, and the bandaid was applied, six tubes and one stick.

I can not tell you how much I appreciate your kind comments. I do so hope these are growing pains. If they are then we are going to have to have a talk with Anna to stop this growing business. I want to always remember how excited she is when I do not have to work. One of my other favorite things is how she sings and if she does not know the words she just makes them up.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Love that book! And am so happy you do too. Every night when we put Colby to bed I say, "I love you to..." and Colby says, "the back moon." This is a tradition that I kept from my mom, even before the book. Not sure where she got it from but she always said I love you to the moon and back. I love how Colby switched it when he was really little and can't see ever changing it back.
So happy things went well with the blood work. Not a fun thing.
Melissa

Janet said...

What a wonderful way to let Anna know that she is loved! Nice to know about the numbing cream. Janet

Troy and Rachel said...

We say "Olive Juice" - I know I've seen or heard that somewhere before - but since Daniel adores olives - it's our thing!! I think it's those types of family things that are so special - I love Back a moon!!