Thursday, December 8, 2011

Blood work!

Over the past 20 years I have given many shots, started a number of IVs, and drawn tons of blood work. I have been conditioned that these things just need to get done for an important reason so I do them. Now when I say that I know it sounds very matter of fact and cold but this is a part of the professional me that keeps my mind safe from the not so nice things that I have seen over the years.

I often think about how the caregivers may be haunted by caring for the children in the orphanage. There is little they can do besides going and meeting the superficial needs of these children. In the past I have felt burned out and the conditions I work under are light years better then the conditions the caregivers in the orphanages work under.

Back to the blood work, when Anna came home from Russia I insisted that she not be vaccinated twice and instead that she has the titers drawn to see what diseases she was having an immune response towards. I remember that day very vividly, 17 tubes of blood were drawn. This afternoon I will take Anna for more blood work. My guess after looking at the orders is about 5-6 tubes of blood, please I pray it is not more than that this time.

This fall Anna was bitten by a tick. I marked it on the calendar and counted out 8 weeks which brought us close to the end of October. The night before Thanksgiving Anna had a crying episode and started to complain about her knees. Anna does not complain so I held her, gave her Tylenol and watched her. The pains went away until this Monday night. Tuesday I took her to the doctor's office to discuss three issues, the leg pain being one of them. I fear she may have Lyme's disease. I will post more about the other two issues after I have processed the discussion between Anna's pediatrician and I first.

I will say that I will have a couple of more doctor appointments in the near future. I am a little worried but I am doing my best to put it in God's hands. I want what is best for my baby. I will do what is necessary and right.

So today I will pick Anna up from school and drive her to he hospital where I work so I can hand select who will draw her blood. Yes, I am that bossy. I will pray that she will not cry for long after the blood draw.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Yucky blood work! I hope everything works out well. Keeping you and Anna in my thoughts today.
Melissa

Graintad said...

I don't think you're bossy when you want to pick who draws blood from Anna... I do the same, I drive 1,5h just so we can go to the Children's hospital, instead of going 3min up the road and get it done by in incompetent nurse, who doesn't know how to treat children...

Anonymous said...

It probably isn't Lyme disease, but you're smart testing for it.

My kids, especially my DD, get these "growing" pains from time to time.

Probably no worries!

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping Anna & your family in my prayers.....my children all experienced leg pains in their growing years, pray that is what Anna is doing.....
Mary

Troy and Rachel said...

Yikes - hope it's the lesser end of the tubes of blood! Keep us posted on her condition.

Janet said...

Praying for dear Anna! Janet

Kelley said...

Praying for your spunky girl!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Okay Bossy. . .: ) I would do the same. . .I hpe and pray that it is merely growing pains. Aidan wakes up very frequently due to leg pain which I put down to growing pains. . .yes, he's been bitten by a couple of ticks, freaks me out, yes! But, I had the blood drawn and even made the pediatrician put him on the antibiotic. He was clean. And he didn't get any other illnesses while on the antibiotic! : ) But, the bottom line is, you do what you have to do. As the Mama. You go girl!!! We're praying for Anna. . .and you and Gerard.

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I sure hope everything is okay. Lexi was really tramatized by the awful blood draw (12 vials of blood) when she first came home. The nurse who did it was TERRIBLE. If there was any way for me to hand pick who was poking my baby with needles, by all means I'd do it! Bossy or Momma Bear - either way YOU KNOW what is best! Praying for sweet Anna!