Saturday, June 19, 2010

Home is where the heart is

As an adult I have owned a number of different houses. I remember once when I pulled up to my first house and I thought "It is so nice to be home." I was only 20 years old when I bought that first house so the whole concept to me was strange. I also remember it was not a feeling that was automatic. I am pretty sure it took about a year before I felt this way. As time as moved on and I have bought and sold different homes this feeling of being home has come more quickly for me.

Last night we decided to go out to dinner at the Chinese buffet. When we pulled up Anna started to sign for crabs because this is the only thing she eats when she is their. So I was excited that she was showing some interest in food. We only had one major melt down and that was because we could not sit right next to the fish tank. After she calmed down to realize that she was still going to get to see the fish she decided to show us perfect behavior at the table.

She ate more crab legs then anyone else at the table. My Mother was quite impressed. The table next to us were a bunch of women who were having a good time. Suddenly laughter broke out at their table, Anna looked up and started laughing really hard just like they were. Now I do know that she did not know what was funny but she does like to laugh. This made them laugh even harder and of course we all started to laugh too.

Once we were done we all loaded up into the car. She started "talking" most of what Anna says we are not able to understand. We turned the corner and onto our street as clear as a bell she said "Home, Home, Home!" She was excited to be going home.

I almost cried to hear her say this. La-La and Gerard confessed to me that she has been saying it all week each time they bring her home but this was the first time I saw it.

What Anna does not realize yet is home is where the heart is. Home is Gerard and I for her now. Home is where you are loved the most. Anna has a home here but she also has one in Russia. With Father's day approaching I wonder if Anna's first parents realize that I am thinking of them and wishing them well.

No comments: