Monday, June 14, 2010

The Blessing of the Fleet

First a little history then on to the pictures. When my Mother was a little girl her Father was a fishing boat Captain. For many years this was how he supported his family of five. Fishing and boating has been a big part of my family and life for as long as I can remember.

My sister married Wayne, La-La and Me-Me's Father when I was very young. Although this marriage was not a forever marriage I still feel like he is family and often refer to him as my Brother-in-law. Wayne is now married to a woman named Kathy who has been more then kind to to my nieces, Hans, Anna and I. I feel lucky to call her family as well. Wayne is the Captain of the Searcher II. I remember when he bought this boat. Jimmy works for La-La's Uncles on their boat, the Doris Mae IV. Both of these boats are steps away from where my Grand Father docked his boat. When my Mother goes to this dock I can see the memories fill her eyes and then the stories start to flow too.

The Blessing of the Fleet is something that happens every year. This is a prayer service at the dock for all the fishermen and boaters for their safe return to the dock and their families. Years ago I remember going to this more often but I guess I have just been busy the past couple of years or perhaps more removed from my roots. Having La-La and Jimmy around often we talk of fishing and the boat is more common in my house like years past.

This also makes me think about when Gerard and I were much younger. Every Saturday and Sunday were spent on the boat. I know to that may shock people now because we have spent such little time on the boat in the past couple of years. The times I think are changing yet again however because Anna does love the water and boats. change can be good.

Yesterday, Gerard took Anna to see his parents and for a boat ride. She came back and the boat was all she could talk about. I had been scheduled to work so La-La and Jimmy picked up Anna so that she could go to the Blessing of the Fleet and a short boat ride with them. You will see Anna in these pictures not wearing a life vest. Please understand that the sides of the boat are much higher then she is tall. Jimmy and La-La were on top of her and this Captain Charlie has more experience in these waters then he cares for me to mention. Gerard and I felt 100% confident that she was safe.

Anna learned a new word while on her short cruise. "Whoa, Whoa, Whoa" Who gets to drive a 100 foot boat before you can drive a car? Anna!


My Grand Father and I






Guess what was the first thing she asked for when she woke up today...Baba...nope. Boat!

If ever you come to the Jersey shore take the time to go to Barnegat Light and visit the dock. Go fishing and experience just how cool it can be to catch your dinner. Plus Jimmy would love to meet you, he thinks it is pretty funny that I blog but don't forget to tell me so I can come too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

anna's hair is absolutely gorgeous!

jaimejaimelynnlynn said...

la-la has a better link for the searcher II it's a website she created!

Laura said...

Precious photo of you and your Grandfather and oh, my....Anna is getting so big. She's an absolute doll.

~Laura :)

Jenn and Joe said...

We leave for NJ in a week and a half. I will try to fit this in to our trip!