Saturday, March 20, 2010

A question revisited

Last year when I was in Russia for my first visit and only visit until I was to return in July I packed many different things for Anna. The discussion about where Anna would wear a bow or bonnet was a hot topic. While I visited with her it was quite plain to see that Anna preferred neither a bonnet or a bow.

No sooner would I get one clipped in for a picture would she take it out and hand it or me. Her hair has grown so much over the pas couple of months and no I have not cut her hair as of yet for a couple of reasons. First being that I would like it to be one length. Currently her hair is multiple lengths all over her head.

As I started to let it go and believe me I have gotten some flack over not at least trimming it but I started to think about how she would feel about a hair cut. By my estimation it seems as though she has had many hair cuts in the past with no particular style. In defence of the caretakers they had many children to care for and a very short hair cut must have been much easier to care for.

In the same respect I can not imagine that the experience was one that was fun for Anna. I know that many children do not enjoy having their hair cut but this is something that I have chosen to put off as long as I can. Wow way off the topic.

So we usually start the day with a pony tail on the side or a clip to keep her bangs back. I estimate that I replace that pony tail about 100 times throughout the day just so I can see her eyes when we play. The other morning Jillian put her hair up without a fight. I said to myself now is as good of a time as any to get one in her hair. I If you have followed many Russian adoption typically the referral pictures for a girl include one with a larger then life bow in their hair. Anna's picture did not have one.

At first she looked at me and then just continued on her way to play in the yard. Bows that would be the new answer to the question of Bonnets or Bows.



10 comments:

Melissa said...

I love the bow! Admit, a litle jealous also. Her hair is growing fast too. She is just precious!
Melissa
Looks like a sunny day there. Has Spring really come???

Michelle said...

she's growing up! these pictures make her look like she's a little girl and not a toddler anymore!

but she's SO cute. seriously, you hit the Cute-Kid Lottery! she's gorgeous!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Absolutely adorable! And I really love the dress, too! She's a cutie pie!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, she's so very cute!!! :)

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! precious, just precious.

Tracy said...

The bow is too cute! Girl hair can be so fun at that age.

One comment on the unpleasantness of haircuts - our son was adopted at 19 months. He had the classic orphanage buzz cut. When we decided he needed a trim after a month or so of being home, my husband got out the clippers and sat him in the chair. I wondered if he would have an issue with it, but we could tell he was SO used to it. He sat perfectly still and was quite happy the whole time. Since then have taken him to a kiddie cut place and he was perfectly fine there too. No one can believe how well he sits for it. Good training, I think. :-)

Ms. Elaine said...

very cute with or without bows! I would not know how she would do sitting but it is my opinion that their hair grows thicker and faster when trimmed....does not make sense does it?

sunset pines farm said...

cute!!!!
Do it while you can, girl.
I put big bows in my girl's hair but once she realized it(at about 5 or 6 yrs old) she refused to wear them. Forever.

Jane and Jim said...

ADORABLE!!
She's going to have nice, thick hair!

MandyJo013078 said...

With the bow in her hair she reminds me of a gift :) The most precious gift anyone could ever have becoming a parent. I'm so happy for you! Such sweet pictures!