Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The beauty of post placement reports and keeping one's culture

I am sure that if you have read here or other adoption blogs long enough you have at least heard once or twice about post placement reports. This was on my mind today mostly because I just paid the bill for our first report.

The purpose of a post placement report or visit is two different things. First and foremost is the child thriving and in a safe environment that is loving. The second is to help identify areas of concern whether it is attachment or special learning needs but more or less on long those lines. When I did Anna's first post placement report I needed to include 6 pictures with a small statement about the date and what was going on in the pictures. These pictures are sent back to the country of origin for review by their officials.

When I was picking out those pictures I wanted to make sure that I was picking the very best pictures that I could for many reasons. I never want the officials in Russia or the staff whom helped me to become a Mother to ever worry that she is not being cared for and loved. Second those pictures where we like it or not represent our country and could impact a future adoption for another couple. Not being a professional photographer I do find it to be a challenge at times to capture that special picture with the right lighting and right background then throw in my personal concern of she should look neat and well dressed in the photos.

So today the moon and stars were in alignment and I was able to snap a few I liked.

"I may not wear socks but you are going to wear them"






"Now that the coins are put away a quick ride!"

One other big concern for the Russian officials was how was I going to expose Anna to the Russian culture?? Not being Russian but being a first generation American I can easily understand that concern. One thing I have decided on is to join my local FRUA chapter...I know don't faint. Quite honestly I am not much of a joiner. The thought of organized activities makes me twitch a bit but I do understand that I will have to get past that too. So I do always have my eye open for things that I could introduce to Anna as being part of the Russian culture. First thing I found which surprised me was the cartoon the Cat in the Hat actually refers to Russia and sings a small piece in Russian. This was an unexpected find.

The second is we are now ready to venture out for our first car trip of more then an hour. We are planning to going to Washington to attend an Easter party at the Russian Embassy. How cool is that? I will tell you I can even top that we are going to meet up with a fellow blogger while we are there!!!! I am so excited you would think that I won a vacation to the Caribbean. How many people can say that inside a year they have been in the American Embassy and the Russian Embassy. I would venture to guess not that many.

I never thought I would wish I lived a little more north. In my searches I found a private school where Russian is the primary language. The school is a Russian Catholic Orthodox school. Even though I do not speak Russian if I were to send her to a private school this would be one of the top 5 I believe. I am always amazed by others who can speak more then one language.

6 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

In addition to the Russian Embassy, you will have visited two of the big National Capitals in the world. . .I can promise a good time will be had by all!! If there are any particular sights you want to see, let me know and we'll get all the directions--a picture of Anna in front of the White House perhaps?? Sent off our registration yesterday. . .

Melissa said...

Wow! You have been busy. I think the Easter party will be great. What a treat. I wish we were a little closer and then I'd go. I've never been to DC and that would be a great trip. And I LOVE the photos. Anna's hair is getting so long. I love the pigtails!
Melissa

Ms. Elaine said...

oh you will love D.C. You might want to visit the "Old Post Office". If I am not mistaken you can see the top of the Russian embassy from the bell tower and I think it is a better view of the city than the Washington Monument (not so high up. She is just as cute as she can be! Love the pics however I have enjoyed many of the pictures you post of her and many of them show how well loved and adjusted to her life as your daughter very well.

Table for Seven said...

Hi Joy,
I dont remember if you remember lolwe talked or emailed and were going to tryto meet up in Russia!!! We are home with our twins and they are doing great. Your daughter is beautiful!!!!
Lynn Ortis

Rob said...

We've been trying to keep a little of Liam's Russian heritage going with language. He knows - and uses with some regularity - about a dozen words. We found a magnet school here that offers a language program that includes Russian, but it's only as a third option after English & Spanish. I'd be much more enthused about the program if Russian could be the second language...

Deb said...

Great pictures! Any would be good example of how loved and adjusted she is.
It's amazing what you'll find when you start looking.
Wow, the Russian Embassy for an Easter party. I want to come!
I say MOVE! It's for Anna'a sake. A private school with Russian being spoken would be a great way to keep the language and culture. :-)