Sunday, December 13, 2009

Words, Words, Words

I will tell you for the most part Anna is spot on developmentally, actually I think she is pretty advance in terms of her fine motor skills. Clever is a good word to because her. I admit to diverting her attention away from things I do not want her to learn yet, like opening the door, the stove and way too many other things to count.

Here is where the big but comes in, her speech! When I picked up Anna she did not speak. I was told that she was fluent in Russian but quite honestly I am pretty sure that she was not. Once home she started to babble a bit. I had decided to wait on a speech therapy evaluation until we were home a couple of months.

The sounds that she made were small and high pitched when she was first home. I remember thinking WOW is she quiet and I was concerned about that. I think the obvious things ran through my mind first being can she hear? The answer to that is yes she can hear. Honestly knowing that has helped to ease my fears of her delayed speech.

I remember the first time she yelled. The delight on her face was amazing so for a couple of days she was yell and mostly I think to see my reaction. Thankfully that has stopped. I have noticed that she has been babbling more on her play cellular phone then ever. I thought I will miss that when she does start talking. You would have thought that she heard me think it.

In the last week she has started saying words. Are you ready... here they are...juice, this, that and one. If I ask her to say one she does then starts to dance. Too funny! She looks so happy after repeating the word that I have asked her to say. This leads me to believe that she may have been a bit frustated by not speaking.

I will miss the Baka, baka, baka that she currently is saying. I guess I have to find the video camera and get it on film before it is a memory that only Gerard and I will cherish.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Her speech will come. It took Colby a few months to start to talk and then he was just repeating us. Not until maybe May or June was he really talking. They need to make sense of our language first. She responds to your questions and when she is asked to do things so she is understanding. That's the most important part. It is difficult and frustrating when they can't talk, but it will come!
Melissa

Laura said...

Kristina still says Baka everyday...never dog. The only Russian words she says are Baka, Koshka (cat) and Loshka (spoon) consistently. No longer Paka-Paka and I miss that one as she used to say it so sweetly. Not sure I have that one on video...so yes -- do get out that video cam!

~Laura

The Accidental Mommy said...

Hi- I saw your blog in my google reader, just letting you know I was here.