Wednesday, December 16, 2009

No cookies were harmed!





This morning I decided that we will be making some cookies. In my mind I knew that this was one thing that I wanted to do with her this year and hopefully continue to do it every year.

The Christmas before my Father died we made cookies, this is something that both of my parents would do with us. Actually the bowl that I used that year is the same bowl that I remember making oatmeal raisin cookies with my Mother for the first time. Yes this is the very same bowl that we used today.

That Christmas before my Father died I had found a new recipe, Russian tea cookies. He told me that they were his new favorite cookies. I had forgot that until this morning when I was chopping the nuts. Little did I know that 12 years later I would be making them with my Russian born daughter. Connections are amazing when you take the time to remember and make memories. These are good times and good memories are being made.

16 comments:

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I love the story about the Russian tea cookies. My mother bought me a matryoshka doll when I was little and I still think about that now that she too has passed. Bittersweet memories...that make us who we are today and allow us to share with our sweet children.

Hugs to you Joy.

Carrie said...

Great story and pictures of your sweet Anna.

Melissa said...

What great memories. Always cherish them. My mom and I always made cookies together and we still do! I love the time together. Great photos! I'm curious as to how many cookies actually made it to the oven!
Melissa

Amy said...

Russian Tea Cookies have always been my favorite and now they have an extra special meaning when I make them with my 2 oops I mean 4 kids.

Great pictures of Anna.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Made me smile, Joy!

cm

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Aww:) Joy her hair is getting so long!! She is just to cute!! Love the pictures! It's so fun to start new things with our children and look fwd to them every year!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

We made Russian Tea Cookies too!!! We're going to give them this weekend to all of our neighbors. . .I think we've just started a new tradition for our little family. . .

LLLLOOOOVVVVEEEE the pictures of Anna. . .she is really getting relaxed. I can see it in her eyes. The way she holds them. Awesome.

Dana Doctor said...

Precious Pictures. Precious Memories.

Amy said...

Love the pictures and the memories! Thanks, Joy!

Christen L said...

Joy, this picture series is just too cute! And I LOVE that bow! :)

ellis-family.blogspot.com

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Send the ticket...I'll be there. Finally, then I could see Gerard.

I love her little bow too. Her hair looks so sweet off to the side like that. She is so precious.

Honey said...

Your daughter is beautiful. How wonderful about the connection of your father's favorite cookies and your daughter's birthplace. I visited Russia many years ago. It is such a beautiful place.

Carolynn and Steve said...

There you go, Joy, doing it again--you made me cry again! But they're happy tears, and that is such a good thing!

She's such a cutie---glad you're having such fun getting ready for Christmas

Heidi said...

Joy, that is a beautiful memory with your Dad and Mom. Now you are carrying over the tradition with your daughter. She looks like such a gift. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

i love that she likes the cookie dough! a girl after my own heart. :)

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

She is so stinking cute!

LOVE the Russian connection with your dad. So special.

Joy, I have to tell you - everytime I change Luke's poopy diapers I think of you and Gerard - his anxiety about diaper changing, your ability to use just one wipe to clean up infant poop! How do you do it?? :)

cm