Sunday, October 14, 2007

Russian Database

I was reading on the FRUA website that you are able to see pictures of children who are up for adoption so after trying to figure it out for about an hour I was able to look at some of the pictures. I thought long and hard about whether I should show these pictures to Gerard. He has a big fear that we will get their and the referral that we will receive will be for a child with sever special needs. Although I am to care for a child who has these special needs and these children to desperately need homes. Gerard does not feel that he is able to meet the needs of this type of child.

So after lots of thought and consideration and in the spirit of not giving Gerard a panic attack I showed him the data base. As always he surprised me. I showed him children that appeared normal in the data base and some special needs children who we would consider. I think he took it very well. The one thing that he said that I think said it all was "I know My Bozz will be able to find us the right child. You know what we can deal with and what we can't deal with so the decision is yours."

As far as the age we are planning to move it up to 24 months from 18 months. I feel comfortable with that change and I think Gerard is somewhat relieved once he saw the pictures.
I want to thank everyone who kept us in their prayers while we made this decision.

Here is the website for the Russian Database
http://www.usynovite.ru/

3 comments:

Deb said...

I'm very glad it helped calm some of Gerard's fears and that you were able to come to the decision on age together.

Anita said...

Looking at the photolistings of children can be sooo amazing, huh? One of THOSE children could be yours! It's mind boggling and just makes for lots and lots of additions to our prayer lists! So thrilled for the decision you and G are making together, nice work Bozz! :)

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Congratulations on your decision to open your request to 24 months!! Jim and I have said many times after bringing Owen home that we would have adopted a child up to 36 months if we had just known how much we could have handled him or her and how tiny they would still be! Isn't it amazing and yet so difficult to see all of the children on the database? You really could have seen your child! When you do get your referral, don't be discouraged by the list of diagnoses. Owen had many scary ones, and he is perfectly healthy!!! :O)