Friday, October 5, 2007

Have you ever wondered what your child will look like?

I have pretty much figured out that I will get a referral for a boy. So you all know what that means I am getting a girl. I like to think about the differences between having a boy or a girl. I dream of putting a little girl's hair into pigtails like Cupcake. I also dream of spending time at the barber getting a nice little man haircut like Iliya. Both of these children are absolutely beautiful and you can really see the differences between having a boy or a girl.

I know that when you are pregnant one of the things that you think about is how the baby will look. Will the baby have my eyes and his ears? So I started asking the mothers and fathers of the babies who I am caring for in the nursery. Does he or she look like what you thought he/she would look? I can honestly say not one of them said yes. But all of these parents said the children were more beautiful then they thought they would be.

I have to admit I day dream a lot about what little bean will look like but in the end I believe I will have the same reaction that I would have had if I were pregnant. I know for those of you who have already completed your forever families this is probably no longer a concern for you because you could not imagine having any other child. That is the amazing part for me.

I know that once little bean is here I will know and feel in my heart that this child was placed with us for many reasons not only because he/she looks like one of us. I may not be able to say that he/she has my eyes or Gerard's ears but I know that I will be able to pick out the different things that we have had an influence on because of how we will raise our child. Maybe I am a little crazy but I am looking forward to all the different stages of childhood.

As far as the paperwork goes I have to drive to Trenton to get the right type of birth certificate. I plan on doing this next week sometime. I am still waiting to get the final home study paper work back. If I do not here anything by Monday I will call to see how things are coming. In New Jersey I can not submit my I-600 until the home study is final apparently the application just sits there until the home study is there as well. My goal is to have the Dossier completed for December 1, 2007.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I have the same daydreams!

And ah yes....the office in Trenton. I remember it like it was yesterday. Even though we are from California, I grew up in NJ and we were married there. Visiting my mom, I made the long trek from West Orange to Trenton recently and waited, and waited to get a copy of my marriage certificate. If you need an apostille it's just a few blocks away (driving distance though) and really easy. Bring a book!

Deb said...

When we first started the adoption I thought about what our children will look like and be like. Wondered if they would pick up any of our traits. If one day our parents would say, "he's just like you were at that age."

And we always figure we'll get a boy because we can't agree on any boy names. Girl names we've got plenty.

Anita said...

I think about our child like this all the time too! It will be so wonderful to have a child and not just daydreams!