Monday, August 20, 2007

The Home Study has Started!

The Home Study will consist of interviews by a licensed social worker. These interviews will include a determination of my assets and my ability to provide for our child. At least one interview will happen at our home. They will be looking for safety hazards in addition to getting a general sense of how I live. I think this is a stressful time. The Home Study will take about 4-6 months to complete. I have started by putting together a ton of papers that are required. So I figure the Home Study will be completed around January.

The funny thing is that in all the adoption guides that I have read you should make sure your home is not too perfect. Well for anyone who knows Gerard this is going to be hard. If you ask Gerard if the child will put away his or her toys he immeidately answers "Of course, I put all my toys awayv when I was done with them." Then usually I start laughing a lot. This is the side of Gerard I love the best. He always can make me laugh.

He has spent the last 2 years fixing everything that could possibly be sighted in the Home Study. Anyone who saw our home before we changed everything understands what I am talking about. I know that everyone is still robably wondering why we moved from the other house. I am sure that this is part of many discussions. The facts are it was about money. I want to be able to finance this adoption without needing to take a loan. By moving I have accompished that goal. Plus I love my new house. I think I like it better then the other house with one exception no basement. Now we are just fighting with the grass. I keep telling him that he is not allowed to fertilize the grass because he is always using too much. The biggest discussion in our house is when to mow the lawn.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Are you kidding? You guys really have spent the last two years fixing your house in anticipation of the homestudy! WOW! You guys are totally on the ball!