Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Confession

Have you ever had a dream that you thought you could not achieve? For the past couple of years I am not proud to say that I have had a dream that I did nothing that is in my power to try an achieve it. I have want to be a runner.

I want to be that one that can strap on my sneakers and take a quick run. Sounds easy but I think this is a lot harder than most runners make it look.

There I said it! It is out in the open and I can not take it back. I think it is actually a bit of a relief. Well now that it is out there and I have given myself up that I have done nothing to achieve this dream what is the next step?

Today Me-Me and I used a couch to 5k app on my phone and I completed my first run/walk. I felt good about accomplishing this first run while A) still being about to walk, B) Still being about to talk, and C) most importantly still wanting to be a runner.

I hate that I stopped walking with Anna after she first came home from Russia. I had been up to a 4.5 mile walk. While I am confessing all this wonderful information about me perhaps I should confess some more. I am over weight. Now I know a bunch of nice people out there have over looked that I am over weight but I can no longer over look it myself.

When I started to work the night shift I was 147lbs. Hard to believe that I thought I was fat than. Over the years I gained more weight and than a little more weight, than I started my adoption journey at 188lbs. Shocking I know. I think I was so sad after leaving Anna in Russia in March that I ate everything possible. After I broke my arm I packed on another 20 lbs. I topped the scale at 208lbs. When Anna I lost a bunch of weight and was down to 167 lbs. I was so close to my goal. Today I am back down to my regular 188lbs

See part of the problem with working at night is you are always tired. I think about sleep pretty much all the time. I calculate how much sleep I need and how much I might get verses how much I got. The numbers never add up. I am always behind on sleep.

On average night shift workers will die much sooner then their counterparts who work during the day. I snack all night long mostly to stay awake, but this is going to change too. Over the past couple of weeks I have started to watch what I am eating in the hopes of getting my eating modified as well.

As usual I have roped a friend and my nieces into my special form of crazy. We are all going to support each other in the hopes of completing a 5K. Not any 5K but one through the mud! There will be obstacles and rivers to cross. My goal is to just complete the race. So sometime in May (I am not sure of the date) I will strap on my old sneakers and run through the mud.

My hope is that in the process I will be able to lose some weight. I want to be a role model for Anna as well. I want her to love to run, play and eat healthy. I am her role model after all so I must complete this not only for me but for her too.

7 comments:

Team Bedzyk said...

I used to run all the time until I hurt my foot a couple years ago and had to have surgery. It's much harder to lose weight now with the kids, and all the snacks and goodies around all the time.

I saw you are going to C4C, I am too. I'm using that March date as my goal to be down 15 lbs. Maybe we can encourage each other?- Kim

JennStar said...

I'm proud of you!! Not only are you being brave enough to vocalize your heart and your plan, but you have goals in place! THAT will give you the push you need to succeed, I have no doubt! I wasn't a runner 2 years ago. 2.22.10 was my 1st day of Couch25K. Since then, I've run 2 5K's and 2 Half Marathons. I whole-heartily believe it's the secret to great success (running, I mean) because it's a process and it's endurance, and it's just about being healthy (at least for me, I can say it is) and not about being a certain way (a certain size or a certain measurement, but more about being active and healthy). Can't wait to see you complete the 5K and then get hungry to shave off time! ;o)
PS- I have heard the Castaway Cay has a 5K- just sayin'- and Disney ROCKS races, so hit the runDisney site and find one to run- I'd totally join ya for whatever! (except a real marathon, that's where I cross the line!)

Melissa said...

Congrats. Now that it's out there, it gives me the boost to get in a few good walks too. I don't much care for running but I love a good walk. I used to say the weather made it hard during the winter but winter never really came so I'm not sure what the excuse is now. Better get up and going myself!
Melissa

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You go girl!! I started running several years ago--do about 3.5 to 4 miles each morning. I started by walking and then just kept picking up the speed and going longer distances. After about 6 months, I was running! You can do it!! I know you can!!!

Barb said...

I am also so proud of you! So excited for you, and way to go to confess here for all to read!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on having a plan!!! Anything you can do at all to help your heart be healthier is great, so just think about whatever moving you do is making you healthier! I can't even imagine how hard it would be to work nights - I would be eating carbs nonstop to give my body some energy. Good luck with your new plan!

Victoria

Anonymous said...

You rock!! Good luck and I still just love reading this blog!