Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cucumber Salad...yumm!

So Monday I was craving cucumber salad. I know how is it possible that I would want to eat something that is somewhat healthy. I knew the night before I had bought a few nice cucumbers so I thought great I will whip some up in no time. My dreams of munching on cucumber salad ended shiftily. While cutting the cucumber on the vegetable slicer (because you know I like them thin)I took off the pad of my ring finger. Honest, I ALWAYS use the guard. I cut my finger off with literally the second swipe of the cucumber across the blade.

Now I am sure you can picture this me in my PJs holding a hand that was gushing blood and trying to convince Anna that it was okay to use my phone to call someone. Within minutes, Me-Me, La-La, Jim Dear and his Mom were standing in my living room. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family. La-La fished my finger out of the bowl and told me "I must really love you." Me-Me watched Anna, La-La went back to work and Jim Dear took me to the hospital. Then someone asked 'Where is Uncle G?" In my panic of missing my finger I completely forgot he would be home from work any minute. I guess I just figured that he was working in my panic.

They were not able to suture the tip back on...sigh. I do love my fingers they are very useful. Because of the nature of the small amputation I am not able to wash my hands with the alcohol rub that is required by my employer so I am out of work until it is healed. I will see my doctor tomorrow to have my disability paperwork filled out. I am a bit disappointed because this ruins my perfect attendance. Oh well at least it is not more serious.

Anna also has her physical tomorrow and her pre-op appointment on Friday. Her dental work is planned for Tuesday. Gerard may not be able to see her before her procedure because he works 40 minutes in the opposite direction so I will be going it alone I think.

2 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Hope your finger heals quickly!!! It's not all in the tips, you know! : )

Melissa said...

Yuck. That brings back many memories. I did a very similar thing when I was about 8 or 9 cutting a carrot. They "glued" it back on but it still looks terrible. I hope you heal soon. Good luck with the dental work. And, no, you're not alone. We'll be thinking of you.
Melissa