Thursday, December 30, 2010

I Promise do you? or should I say Upromise

Over the past couple of years I have seen and I you have seen them as well, signs for Upromise. From what I gather Upromiseis a college savings program that we can all sign up for. If you do any online shopping this is a pretty good deal. Since Anna has joined our home most of my shopping is online these days or just at the grocery store.

This site gives you a precentage of what you pay back into an account for higher education. As usual I signed up after I did the bulk of my shopping for this past Christmas season. You can also link you credit cards and grocery store cards to the account. The money can be used for your self or for your child or grandchild.

So last week I signed up and I already have .34 cents in my account and all I did was start my shopping experience through the Upromise web site. I totally plan on hooking up my Mother's grocery store cards, yes you can do that too. I have made the decision to go back to school and I am still looking at at least 3 different school for my Masters in Nursing. I will be doing the courses online over the next 3 or 4 years.

I have figured out that my company will pay about 21,000 dollars of the nearly 26,000 dollars that I will need to complete out this degree. I am lucky that they offer that much money toward higher education for me but I think the frugal side of me really wants it all to be paid for by them. Had I started sooner I would have paid pretty much nothing for the degree. I could take longer to obtain the degree but I have reasons why I want to complete this out before 2015 so I will bite the bullet so to speak.

I would say look into it if you are considering going back to school. In today's economic climate Grand parents are just not able to put away large chucks of money for their grand children but you can sign up for this program and your grand child could get credit for your regular purchases at the grocery store or with your credit card.

No comments: