Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas in NYC

Yesterday was a Sloan-Kettering trip for a CT scan for my Mother. I decided a couple of months ago if the trip was to be a short one that I would take Anna with me. In the city there are so many different experiences that I hate the thought of wasting a trip there for some thing that feels a little sad. Some trips are much longer where we spend 7-9 hours in testing, treatment and waiting to see doctors those days she will stay home.

I decided that because of the time of the year for this CT scan we would schedule it for the afternoon so that we could go see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller center. I would have loved to do the ice skating but this was too cold for every one but me. Anna will enjoy it one day and we will go back.

Anna was very good on the trip up. We stopped by Ikea and purchased a few things for Christmas. Where I park in the city is about 4 or 5 blocks from building where we have to be and too far for my mother to walk so we have started dropping her off on the other side of the street. This is the first time that my sister was with me when I did that and her reaction was pretty funny. She told me"You just kicked your Mother out of the car? Does she know where she is going?" Sad to say the answer is yes she does know where she is going but this did make me laugh.

We parked the car bundled up Anna and walked to the office. Anna is a mad puzzler. There has never been a puzzle that she has not wanted to do. So puzzles are some thing I bring with us pretty much every where. 100 pieces was just enough for her to put together while we waited for Nanny to finish her CT scan.




Then it was out into the cold to fine the tree. I forgot how busy the taxi cabs are at rush hour and when it is cold. In the summer time getting a taxi is so much easier. We did however end up with a gypsy cab, really it was a driver in a town car waiting to pick up his executive but a gypsy cab sounds more exciting after all.

He dropped us off right at the tree. I pulled all our stuff and Anna out of the car thanked the man for his kindness we were on our way. I never want to forget Anna's reaction when she saw the tree. She let out with a big "WOW, fancy!"





After about 15 minutes of looking around and a short 2 block walk to get a taxi we were headed home. I would say it was worth the effort. My Mother has never seen the tree lit and I think having Anna with us on these trips is good for her. In all the day was a pretty good day.

Now I am just praying that what they saw on her CT scan 2 months ago is 1. gone, 2. just a shadow or 3. scar tissue. I am not ready for this to be cancer again so soon.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Thank you so much for sharing those glorious photos! I grew up on LI and haven't gone to the city winter time since 1993. I love it. My sister is going tomorrow morning to see the decorations. I heard it snowed some on LI today. I will keep your mom in my prayers. Heidi

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

That just looks like so much fun!!! In a year or two I'd like to take Aidan to New York and go ice skating, etc. . .maybe we can get together!

Janet said...

Love the pictures of Anna and you with your Mom! Praying for good results from your Moms x-rays! Janet

The Robins' Nest said...

Great pictures in the city! Amazing that Anna does 100 piece puzzles!!