Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Winter Party CT scan results

Yesterday was a big day in our house first Anna had her Winter party. I am not sure I will get used to the political correctness that public school must offer around the holidays but I was corrected more then once by the teacher and other school employees. It is a Winter party and Winter shop. Last week was the Winter shop and Anna got to take her list of people along with some money for the purposes of buying gifts for Christmas. I can tell you that she has some pretty good taste in the gift picking out area.

I missed the winter party but La-La went in my place. La-La had a great time she also said it was so funny to see her act so grown up around her friends because she does not act that grown up with me. Anna frequently pretends to be a baby I of course make a fuss and pick her up. When this happens she gets a big smile across her face and snuggles into me. For La-La she does not do this and acts more grown up but in the classroom setting she acts even older La-La said.

I think Anna is still securing her feelings of being MY baby and enjoys the comfort and attention. I love it too because holding her is my favorite thing to do. Anna is a very busy little girl between playing with puzzles or Play Doh so I these breaks that she takes to pretend to be a baby are welcomed by me.

I have not gotten all the details about the party yet but I know that they had fun. They do a craft, a game, a story and have a snack at the parties. Who would not love to have that inserted into the daily routine and hard work of preschool?

The craft was making a bird feeder. The head class mom collected pine cones from their Thanksgiving trip to North Carolina. Her twins picked out special ones for everyone and Anna's was the smallest because she is the smallest in the class. When I hear things like this I think wow that is a good child and an nice parent. Taking the time to do stuff like that with your child or children is important and you never get that time back, more on that later.

The pine cone was covered in peanut butter. Anna has an aversion to her hands being sticky so much of the craft was completed by La-la. I hope to hang it in the backyard in the next day or so to get a few good pictures of her with it.


I also got a present. A wreath made from tracings of her hands. I am not quite sure where I will hang this yet. I do have a special picture frame that I purchased from Target that holds her projects but I am just not ready to remove the one that I currently have in the front. I love this frame because you can showcase one piece of art and the frame opens like a folder to hold all the other pieces of art. I am planning on taking a picture of each piece of artwork and up load them to shutterfly to make a photo book. I know I sound corny.




The other big part of yesterday was our trip to Sloan-Kettering for my Mother's experimental vaccine for her lung cancer. We also got the results of her latest CT scan. In September when I was in Disney my Mother had a CT scan and those results showed 2 areas of concern that appeared to be the return of her lung cancer. See here is the tricky thing about Medicine you can only use words like appears to be because without a biopsy report nothing is definite. This uncertainty is the part that upsets people they just want to know.

Last week the CT scan was repeated and yesterday we got the results. Yes the one area of concern is still present in the left lung not the right where her original lung cancer was located. The area in the right is improved. So what does this mean? It means we are going to watch and wait to see if either area gets larger. If the area gets significantly smaller or goes away it is not cancer. Because the one area got smaller it is thought that that one perhaps is infection or scar tissue. The other area in the left lung stayed the same. This is where the big Hmmmmm comes in so we decided that we will repeat her CT scan in 3 months or in February.

I guess this means we are in a bit of a holding pattern right now. Which quite frankly we are all okay with. The type of lung cancer that my Mother had is a very slow growing cancer. So waiting the three months is okay. Thank you all for your support and prayers.

Which brings me back to the beginning of this post when I said taking the time with your children is so important because you never get it back. I am not sure how many of you have ever been to a cancer research hospital like Sloan-Kettering but if you are there the reason is plain and simple you have cancer. We met a lady yesterday with stage 3 ovarian cancer, overheard her talking to her sister about whether or not she should cancel her vacation with her children April. I looked up and our eyes met. I looked her straight in the face and told her "NO! Everyday you are making memories with your children and I think you should go and have a great time." I was shocked at myself because as loud as I am I never interject into any of the conversations that I overhear at Sloan-Kettering.

This lady is 44 with two 7 year old children. She looked at me and told me I was right and she was going to go. Her children were looking forward to it. By the end of the conversation we were all laughing and there was more hope in her voice. Please say a prayer for her and her family.

No comments: