Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Too many changes

I feel like in the past couple of weeks and months there have been so many changes for me. Gerard's days off changed which has changed and even though they have only moved one day back I feel like I am so not used to it yet. I feel like I have lost a day with him every week. He is thinking about changing jobs and I can tell you just the thought of this is making me upset.

At my job there are changes too. The day and time our pay period ends has changed from Saturday night at 11 pm to Sunday at 7 am. Now that does not seem like a big change but quite honestly it has dramatically changed my work schedule. I know complaining to most of the world about my 12 days a month that I work sounds silly but this change of 8 hours now forces me to work 5-12 hour shifts in 7 days every month. That is close to half the amount of time I work for the month into one week.

I do believe that this will change in the near future but only with another change to my schedule. My weekends to work will no longer be Friday into Saturday, Saturday into Sunday but instead it will be Saturday into Sunday and Sunday into Monday. This will be both a blessing and a curse. For holidays that fall on my weekend on a Sunday I will not be able to be off for any of them (Mother's day, Father's Day, Easter and so on). One good thing that I can say about this change is that my paycheck will be more regular which will make budgeting much easier.

These are just two of the changes that I have been faced with in the past couple of months. This is the first week that I have had to work the new schedule and I am sad to say that Anna is not fairing well with me being away this much in such a close amount of time. I only saw her yesterday for 1 hour, Sunday I spent the day with her but was completely wiped out so I think I was not so much fun either. Saturday I got to spend 1 hour with her. Today I will be with her all day but again I will be wiped out then off to work again on Thursday night.

La-La told me that she can see where this schedule change has affected Anna. Monday night she refused dinner but did have a bottle at bed time, Tuesday morning she refused breakfast and lunch. Gerard was able to get her to eat an afternoon snack but Tuesday night half of our hour was spent trying to get her to eat some dinner without luck. La-La also as told me that she has been looking for me which I think is good but also sad.

I believe this schedule will not change until October at the earliest so I am worried to say the least. The poor thing has had to adjust to so much over the past 11 months. I know I feel like I am at my breaking point with all the changes so I can only imagine how she is feeling.

Thank goodness I only have one more night to work and then I am on vacation again for 11 days.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Ugh! SO sorry to hear about the change to your schedule. I know it is difficult. It will be for some time but I think Anna will be ok. She misses you and that is a good thing. Things will get better.
Melissa

Christine said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all the changes for you and for Anna. I know our little ones don't handle change well and at least mine seems to pick up on my stress and thus becomes more stressed himself, but your being a constant in her life and always coming back will carry her through. Hoping the schedules will get better soon.

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry for all the stressful changes! big hugs to you.